Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Make available for home directories" greyed out

Hi all,

We have two new Mac Mini servers with RAID units to replace our previous XServe's.

They are running 10.8.2, and server 2.2.1.

Both servers happily bind to our existing 10.6.8 XServe OD master.

Some months ago, I successfully ticked "Make available for home directories" on one of the Mac Mini's, and since then have had hundreds of LDAP users happily logging into their profile stored on the Mac Mini.

However when it came time to set this up for our second Mac Mini, the option was greyed out. We've tried a whole range of things - restarting servers, rebinding (both anon and authenticated), trying other shares. To make matters worse, if I UNtick the option on the first Mac Mini, it is greyed out and I can't tick it again (so I click 'cancel' to avoid catastrophy!) - and any other shares available on that server also have the option greyed out.

This suggests a software update may have caused the problem. We suspect the upgrade of Server to version 2.2. However we know that it works for the first Mac Mini, so in theory it should work for the 2nd one too, if only the option was available.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated,

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 4:41 PM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2013 7:43 PM in response to rhyb

I've called Apple Support, and their official answer is this: I need to setup the servers as open directory replicas. I can only do this if the OD master is running Mountain Lion, which it is not. They could not answer me as to why the first server had no problem mounting with just a binding to the OD Master instead of being a replica, but the 2nd server (and now the 1st server also) cannot.

Is there a terminal option for setting up a home directory mount?

Thanks,

Rhys

"Make available for home directories" greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.