Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel_task is using over 600% of my CPU and slowing things down to a crawl!!!

This is getting ridiculous. My late 2011 Macbook Pro 8,2 Intel Core i7 2.2 with 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM used to be so fast and snappy. But ever since a few months ago, it's been so slow. Kernel_task is using upwards of 600% of my CPU, my macbook pro heats up like crazy, and my fan becomes super loud. This is especially embarrassing in class or in the library, when it's completely silent (except for the lecturer in class), and my computer sounds like it's going to blast off into space. People actually turn their heads and stare. More seriously, it's almost impossible to use my computer because it is so slow. My intel core duo 2.0GHz mac mini with 2GB ram is actually faster than my macbook when this happens. I use very graphic heavy programs (this is why I have my computer), and I'm unable to use them smoothly anymore. Just previewing an image file takes like 3 mins to load up sometimes.

I've tried resetting the SMC, PRAM. I've ran the Apple Hardware Test. I've ran the Disk Utility to repair disk permissions and to verify the disk. Everything is fine. Running Console shows that there is no problem with the SMC. I've even downloaded Onyx and ran every maintenance thing on there. I've installed another user account, and installed another OSX on a different partition, and this Kernel_task craziness is ALWAYS there. It starts up randomly it seems, and it goes away after an hour or two. Then it starts up again after a few hours. It is maddening. It doesn't seem to be associated with any program. It happens when there are no programs running.

My mac's HD isn't encrypted. I do use Time Machine (but it's unencrypted) on a network drive. I'm at a loss as to what this can be. Please help me... This issue is driving me crazy. From my searches, it seems there are many others with the same exact problem. Yet no one seems to know of a solution.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 6:02 PM

41 replies

Sep 11, 2017 7:51 AM in response to asdllkjasdf

After having struggled with this for a year now, I found what was causing my 600%+ kernel problem. I run mavericks on a MBP 2012 i7, 16 GB RAM. It was the GPU overreacting to my external monitor. There are more descriptive answers elsewhere. Anyway, now when I start to get the kernel black magic happening, I simply unplug my external monitor and within 20 seconds the system is back to normal.

Nov 24, 2013 7:44 PM in response to asdllkjasdf

This solve the problem for me.

1. Go to About this mac under the apple in the upper left and click on More info

2. Click on system report

3. make a note of what it says after Model Identifier

4. go to your master drive – System -Library – Extensions – IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext -Contents – Plugins – ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – Contents – Resources – find the name from step 3 and move it to a folder that you can find again if needed.

3. Restart and you’re done

I hope this helps.

Apr 16, 2017 4:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

1. I accidentally moved the Ioplatformpluginfamily.kext, i moved it back but it may have been too late. Now I get this error anytime i try to install my VIRUS TI software:

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_S MC_PlatformPlugin.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update"

how do I re-install, or is this a permissions fix.

This trick does work, but I am weary because of how thin rMBP's are and I don't want this to be a permanent fix

2. This is what I got below after using the terminal diagnosis. I use iLok for my Pro Tools and Logic Pro setup, So I am a little nervous about deleting pace. If thats what its coming to. How do I do so? Should I update? It clearly reads snow leopard. I am on Yosemite, and that, to me, sounds like cause for concern.Thanks for your help in advance.

de.access-music.virus_ti.driver.audio (3.3.0)

com.uaudio.driver.UAD2System (9.1.0)

jp.co.yamaha.driver.YamahaFWAsync (1.2.3)

jp.co.yamaha.driver.YamahaFWAudioDriver (1.4.2)

com.uaudio.driver.UAFWAudio (4.3.1

com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (11.3.2f4)

com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (2)

com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard (5.9.1)

Apr 16, 2017 4:54 PM in response to KennaOkoye

KennaOkoye wrote:

1. I accidentally moved the Ioplatformpluginfamily.kext, i moved it back but it may have been too late. Now I get this error anytime i try to install my VIRUS TI software:

"The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_S MC_PlatformPlugin.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update"

how do I re-install, or is this a permissions fix.

This trick does work, but I am weary because of how thin rMBP's are and I don't want this to be a permanent fix

2. This is what I got below after using the terminal diagnosis. I use iLok for my Pro Tools and Logic Pro setup, So I am a little nervous about deleting pace. If thats what its coming to. How do I do so? Should I update? It clearly reads snow leopard. I am on Yosemite, and that, to me, sounds like cause for concern.Thanks for your help in advance.

de.access-music.virus_ti.driver.audio (3.3.0)

com.uaudio.driver.UAD2System (9.1.0)

jp.co.yamaha.driver.YamahaFWAsync (1.2.3)

jp.co.yamaha.driver.YamahaFWAudioDriver (1.4.2)

com.uaudio.driver.UAFWAudio (4.3.1

com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (11.3.2f4)

com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (2)

com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard (5.9.1)

Reinstall your current operating system over top of itself

Feb 17, 2013 6:24 PM in response to asdllkjasdf

The kernel is using excessive processor cycles. Below is a partial list of causes for this condition.

Throttling

When it gets high temperature readings from the hardware, the kernel may try to compensate by interrupting the processor(s) to slow them down and reduce heat dissipation. This condition can be due to an accumulation of dust, to high ambient temperature, or to the malfunction of a cooling fan or temperature sensor. Note that if the problem is caused by a faulty sensor that reads too high, there may be no actual overheating.

The Apple Hardware Test, though not very reliable, is sometimes able to detect a bad fan or temperature sensor.

Using Apple Hardware Test

Encryption

Transferring large amounts of data to or from an encrypted disk image or FileVault volume may put an extra load on the kernel. If both the source and the destination are encrypted, the load may be doubled. If you transfer data from an encrypted disk image on an encrypted partition to another such image on another encrypted partition, the load may be quadrupled.

This issue probably doesn't affect late-model Macs with an Intel i-series, recent Xeon, or later processor. Those processors support hardware-accelerated encryption. You can determine what kind of processor you have by selecting About This Mac from the Apple menu in the menu bar.

Installed software

User-installed software that includes a device driver or other kernel code may thrash the kernel. Some system-monitoring applications, such as "iStat," can also contribute to the problem. You can test for this possibility by completely disabling or removing the software according to the developer's instructions, or booting in safe mode (with the shift key held down at the startup chime.) Note, however, that disabling a system modification without removing it or booting in safe mode may not be as easy as you think it is.

Corrupt NVRAM or SMC data

In some cases the condition has reportedly been cleared up by resetting the NVRAM or the SMC. I can't confirm.

Mar 20, 2013 5:35 AM in response to Linc Davis

I've since opened up my Macbook Pro to see if maybe there was excess dust causing it to over heat. But there wasn't much. I took out the ram and reinserted it.

I also ran the hardware test on advanced mode three times and it didn't find anything.

I've reinstalled my OSX 10.8 once again, and the issue is still there.

I don't have any encryption at all.

I've reset my NVRAM and SMC data, and this didn't help at all.

The issue did get better after I rebooted normally after entering safe mode.

However, now it seems that I get the kernel task taking up my CPU when I plug in my MBP to my external monitor. What could be the cause for this? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2013 6:26 AM in response to asdllkjasdf

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

May 16, 2013 9:34 AM in response to asdllkjasdf

I think, I have found a reliable fix!!!

http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259
In my case I have a faulty battery that shows a temp of 129°f (always) so the system average temp is way off…

This is a part hardware: (My battery going from Health:80% 333 cycles, to Health:7% after a reboot, I think this is do to the battery thermometer getting stuck on 129°f and battery controller safety shutdown)

After moving MacBookPro8_2.plist, I have to say my machine feels like its running as fast as it was new out of the box! I think Apple might be using that Kernal_Task(0) for more then just heat control.. It would make a very interesting marketing tool if you catch my drift..

CAUTION: KNOW HOW HOT YOUR COMPUTER GETS BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

IF NO ONE HAS CLEANED OUT THE HEAT SINK FANS IN OVER A YEAR DO THAT BEFORE APPLYING THIS FIX.. Better safe then sorry..

“Fixing” kernel_task CPU Problems in MacOS 10.7/10.8

Posted on June 5, 2012

Update (Early 2013): When I wrote this guide it was focusing on Lion 10.7, many people have, of course, upgraded to 10.8 and have reported success using the same principles. However, the plist entries have not been added for newer models, e.g. the new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (+retina). Therefore, if you follow the guide exactly you may run into problems such as your model identifier not being visible. After diagnosing this with others via email it would appear that the system uses another plist in the directory, therefore removing all of the plists has worked. I cannot comment further or prove this to be the case as I don’t have the available hardware. Let me know whether this works for you…..

I use a wide variety of operating systems at home, all services are provided by Linux, e.g. firewall, routing, file-storage and DLNA media. However, I like using a Mac too, I have a late-2009 MacBook Air which I use whilst traveling. Despite all of Lion’s flaws, I really like using it- full-screen apps, gestures and the new Mail.app is really impressive. The specification of this machine really isn’t anything special, the lack of expansion really leaves a lot to be desired but for what I do- it’s plenty. I will certainly be upgrading to the new Ivy Bridge MacBook Air when it comes out, perhaps then I’ll have more than 2GB memory and can run VM’s too(!).

The biggest problem I’ve been having with this machine on Lion (didn’t have it on Snow Leopard) is to do with kernel_task. Instead of splitting all of the underlying kernel operations into their own individual processes (and associated threads) they are all consumed by a single ‘task’ (more of a representation of the underpinnings of the microkernel architecture) that appears in the process list. What I’ve been noticing is that this ‘task’ sometimes goes out of control, consumes CPU resources with the utmost priority. For a long time I wasn’t sure what it was doing, it seemed to be kicking in when I was doing something that was relatively intensive (for a Mac anyway), e.g. YouTube.

A lot of people suggested that ‘rogue kexts’ (kernel drivers/modules) could be causing the problem, perhaps an incompatible module was being started by OS X that was installed when the system was running Snow Leopard. This seemed to make sense as a boot in safe-mode would cause no problems. Suffice to say, I created a Lion Install-USB and re-installed from scratch; guess what… same problem within hours! After a bit of digging around and investigating the kernel_task ‘process’ it was clear to see that it was looping through something continually. After further research I discovered that the kernel will keep looping some very simple tasks, e.g. getting the date, therefore ‘consuming’ (with the highest priority) the majority of the CPU in a bid to cool the system down.

So, it’s all to do with temperature control- you ‘remove’ a large portion of the CPU share from other applications and carry out low-overhead tasks continually until the CPU temperature drops. This sounds like a great solution to cooling, but it’s very intrusive. It’s agressive nature drags the system to a halt in a lot of ways, despite the fact that the CPU in my MacBook Air rarely exceeds 70 degrees (centigrade). Considering the TJ Max of my little 2.13GHz Core2Duo is 85 degrees I’d rather kernel_task not take this invasive action.

Thankfully, this “feature” is built into a kext, in which each model identifier specifies how to control the temperature of the CPU via this invasive action. The simple fix is to remove the entry for your model identifier from this kext- if it “doesn’t know” what to do with your particular model, it won’t take any action. Now, here comes the disclaimer… by taking the same action as I will outline below, I take absolutely no responsibility for any damage or loss caused to you or your property, you do this of your own free will. You’re over-ruling functionality that was designed to prolong the life of your equipment, despite the fact that it’s invasive and very annoying it’s there for a reason. Anyway, on to the fun stuff…

Firstly, you’re going to need the model identifier of your pesky Mac:

$ system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep "Model Identifier:"

Model Identifier: MacBookAir2,1

The kext we need to modify is IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, you can verify it is running by-

sh-3.2# kextstat | grep IOPlatformPluginFamily

67 3 0xffffff7f81229000 0x7000 0x7000 com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily (5.1.0d17) <8 7 6 5 4 3>

Within this kext will be another further kext- ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext, in which each recent Macintosh model is listed with relevant instructions that the kernel uses to determine how and when to invoke the control. (Make sure you switch to root now)

sh-3.2# cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/

sh-3.2# cd Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/

sh-3.2# cd Contents/Resources/

sh-3.2# ls | wc -l

So, there’s 49 different profiles listed in this kext as of the writing of this. We simply need to move the ‘plist’ file for the model identifier we discovered earlier out of that directory, so in my case I need to move file ‘MacBookAir2_1.plist’ out of this directory (to somewhere safe), but replace my model identifier with your specific one.

sh-3.2# mv MacBookAir2_1.plist /Users/<your username>/

You can simply reboot now for the changes to take effect. We could have removed the entire kext but it’s much safer to remove the plist file for the specific model as (to be honest) I don’t know what the rest of that kernel module does. I’ve been using this ‘fix’ for a few days now and not noticed any problems at all- overall it’s much quicker and I don’t have to worry about it running out of steam. What I would recommend is that you be a bit more careful about the placement of your Mac, you don’t want to be covering the exhaust. The Mac should protect itself if it *does* reach max temperature but I would just be a little more careful.

Note: It’s likely that this kext will get updated in the future by Apple in their update packs and as a result will replace the file you deleted/moved therefore you may have to repeat this process in the future

Let me know how you get on.

Kernel_task is using over 600% of my CPU and slowing things down to a crawl!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.