Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to talk to Google Talk user

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Messages to chat with a Google Talk user. I've put the guys name and gmail address in my contacts, and indicated his AIM is Google Talk. When I open a chat in Messages and choose his name from Contacts, his name appears in RED, and when I click it it says he is not registered with Messages, and so I can't chat with him.

Is this correct? In other words, is it impossible to chat with a Google Talk user?

Thanks for help!

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 2:05 PM

Hi,

Messages can join several services.

1) iMessages is the Apple one for text Chats to iOS devices or Macs (Messages) using Apple IDs and iPhone Numbers.

2) It can join AIM with an AIM name or an AIM Valid Screen Name such as Apple IDs ending in @me.com and @icloud .com issued from iCloud.

This does mean you can set up your Apple ID twice in the Accounts section of the Messages Preferences.

Once for iMessages and once for AIM.

3) It can join the Jabber service.

This is a collection of servers that issue Jabber IDs that can then be interlinked.

Google run a Jabber server called GoogleTalk.

You have to have a Google Mail ID and enable Talk on your Google Settings.

Google doesn't conform to the standard naming of the server which is why it has a separate entry in the Add Account pane.

Facebook also run a Jabber server and you have to enable "Chat" on your Facebook setting (at Facebook)

There are many other Jabber servers.

You can add Names from one Jabber server to the Buddy list of another (So a Facebook Buddy list can have Googletalk Buddies in it for example)

To be clear again.

iMessages can only "talk" to other iMessages accounts that have been registered (Apple IDs and iPhone Numbers. (Talk in this case is Text chat)

AIM and AIM Valid Names can only "talk" to other AIM and AIM valid Names. (Talk is Video, Text and Audio Only chats plus Screen Sharing)

Similarly Jabber is Jabber to Jabber IDs (Talk is the same as AIM)

So in the Contacts App his Google ID should be listed as Jabber not AIM

User uploaded file

You need to get some form of Jabber ID to use in Messages if you don't already have one.

Or he needs to get an AIM (Valid) ID.

NOTES

Of course his gmail email ID may also be the one he registered for his Apple ID.

It may work in Messages if he is using Mountain Lion as an iMessages ID

On iChat 6 and below he can only use it as a Jabber/GoogleTalk ID.

If this Google Buddy happens to be using a Web Browser to Login then you will only be able to Text Chat.

Same if he is on a PC and using the PC app called GoogleTalk (Different Protocols for both options)

User uploaded file
10:05 PM Monday; February 18, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Peter Quant

Hi,

Messages can join several services.

1) iMessages is the Apple one for text Chats to iOS devices or Macs (Messages) using Apple IDs and iPhone Numbers.

2) It can join AIM with an AIM name or an AIM Valid Screen Name such as Apple IDs ending in @me.com and @icloud .com issued from iCloud.

This does mean you can set up your Apple ID twice in the Accounts section of the Messages Preferences.

Once for iMessages and once for AIM.

3) It can join the Jabber service.

This is a collection of servers that issue Jabber IDs that can then be interlinked.

Google run a Jabber server called GoogleTalk.

You have to have a Google Mail ID and enable Talk on your Google Settings.

Google doesn't conform to the standard naming of the server which is why it has a separate entry in the Add Account pane.

Facebook also run a Jabber server and you have to enable "Chat" on your Facebook setting (at Facebook)

There are many other Jabber servers.

You can add Names from one Jabber server to the Buddy list of another (So a Facebook Buddy list can have Googletalk Buddies in it for example)

To be clear again.

iMessages can only "talk" to other iMessages accounts that have been registered (Apple IDs and iPhone Numbers. (Talk in this case is Text chat)

AIM and AIM Valid Names can only "talk" to other AIM and AIM valid Names. (Talk is Video, Text and Audio Only chats plus Screen Sharing)

Similarly Jabber is Jabber to Jabber IDs (Talk is the same as AIM)

So in the Contacts App his Google ID should be listed as Jabber not AIM

User uploaded file

You need to get some form of Jabber ID to use in Messages if you don't already have one.

Or he needs to get an AIM (Valid) ID.

NOTES

Of course his gmail email ID may also be the one he registered for his Apple ID.

It may work in Messages if he is using Mountain Lion as an iMessages ID

On iChat 6 and below he can only use it as a Jabber/GoogleTalk ID.

If this Google Buddy happens to be using a Web Browser to Login then you will only be able to Text Chat.

Same if he is on a PC and using the PC app called GoogleTalk (Different Protocols for both options)

User uploaded file
10:05 PM Monday; February 18, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 19, 2013 11:05 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

User uploaded file for the Points User uploaded file

User uploaded file
7:05 PM Tuesday; February 19, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Trying to talk to Google Talk user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.