Where did you read to use "Advanced Settings"? The linked article says:
- Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Other > Add CardDav Account.
- Enter the following information in the fields:
- Server: google.com
- User Name: Enter your full Google email address
- Password: Your Google account password
- Select Next at the top of the screen to complete the setup.
Since the above instructions were ineffective, I went to the bottom of the instructions where I read:
"After you have completed the setup, open the Contacts app on your device. Syncing should begin automatically.
Note: Make sure that SSL is enabled (under Advanced settings), and that the port is 443."