Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need wifi cellular in Australia?

I am thinking of purchasing an iPad Mini, however I don't understand how wifi cellular could help me in Australia. I believe the wifi cellular is supported by US internet providers?

Confused....

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 2:32 AM

A cellular data connection on the iPad allows you to access the Internet without needing a wifi connection

So if your out of range of your wifi connection you can still have an Internet connection on your iPad

It requires a SIM card and either a prepay account or on account with a cellular network provider

It uses the same network cell phones use, if you have cellular coverage you should have Internet access on the iPad

You can use the iPad without a SIM card you don't need a cellular connection to use it it's quite happy on wifi only

Cellular data connection is usually more expensive to use than your wifi connection

The cellular data connection in the iPad mini supports a faster connection standard than 3G

If you are going to use it you'd have to find out if the provider supports it. It will still operate at the slower data speed

The wifi + cellular model also has GPS

The wifi only model does not have GPS

GPS is required for navigation apps such as nav free

Btw it's two separate technologies wifi and cellular apple refer to it as wifi + cellular ( wifi plus cellular)

Meaning the iPad wifi + cellular has both iPad wifi only has wifi

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2013 2:32 AM in response to vic178

A cellular data connection on the iPad allows you to access the Internet without needing a wifi connection

So if your out of range of your wifi connection you can still have an Internet connection on your iPad

It requires a SIM card and either a prepay account or on account with a cellular network provider

It uses the same network cell phones use, if you have cellular coverage you should have Internet access on the iPad

You can use the iPad without a SIM card you don't need a cellular connection to use it it's quite happy on wifi only

Cellular data connection is usually more expensive to use than your wifi connection

The cellular data connection in the iPad mini supports a faster connection standard than 3G

If you are going to use it you'd have to find out if the provider supports it. It will still operate at the slower data speed

The wifi + cellular model also has GPS

The wifi only model does not have GPS

GPS is required for navigation apps such as nav free

Btw it's two separate technologies wifi and cellular apple refer to it as wifi + cellular ( wifi plus cellular)

Meaning the iPad wifi + cellular has both iPad wifi only has wifi

Feb 25, 2013 4:13 PM in response to Grumpalumpa

wifi only does not have GPS

only wifi + cellular has GPS

if your ipad has a sim card slot it's wifi + cellular

assisted GPS means it uses wifi plus GPS for location

with the Wifi model once it's out of wireless coverage you'll loose

the location because the Wifi model has no GPS chipset and uses wifi

it is also not as accurate as GPS equipped model

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

Wifi Wifi +Cellular

User uploaded file

• Wi‑Fi
  • Digital compass
  • Wi‑Fi
  • Digital compass
  • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
  • Cellular

Feb 25, 2013 5:02 PM in response to vic178

Very interesting. As I said, I have a wifi only IPad mini. Cheapest IPad on the market with no card slot. I bought it from my Apple Store as a wifi only model (Did not want celular!). My previous older IPad has celular capibility and has a card slot.

I am running navigation software successfully on the wifi only model many klms from home and well outside my wifi range. I have simultaneousy run the TomTom navigation app on the IPad and IPhone and a TomTom GO 720 to compare the differences (Only minor variations to date, these relate to the amount of map information displayed eg more street names and more detail shown on GO 720 and IPad to that shown on the IPhone. I believe this is due to screen size.

I have noticed that I can plan a trip on the IPhone from indoors where there is no GPS signal. When I do this on the other two devices they indicate "No GPS signal" and will not proceed. I believe this is because the IPhone is using celular towers to get the initial fix. On going outside they are able to fix my current location and I can proceed.

I am currently using OS 6.1.2 with TomTom V13.1 app and maps.

I am puzzled with the info shown on your Apple link because this appears to be at odds with reality. Go figure?

Feb 25, 2013 6:08 PM in response to Grumpalumpa

if your previous ipad had a sim card slot then it's a wifi + cellular and has GPS

this has been constant though all ipad models so far

if your ipad is tethered to your iphone it can obtain location information using your iphone

(personal hot spot)

what your seeing maybe the delay in the wifi only devices triangulating their location

plus the speed of the indervidual devices

iphone, ipad wifi + cellular all use the same assisted GPS technology

alI can say is the wifi only devices have no GPS and they rely on solely on wifi

and depending on conditions the models with GPS should be more accurate and able to fix a location

were the wifi only models would be best effort

Do I need wifi cellular in Australia?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.