Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 start-up help needed please!

After several over-night power-outages my Power PC G5 won't boot up past grey Apple logo. Fan starts to go crazy. Lost Lion OSX disc. Have working MacBookPro but it has no Firewire. How can I boot up the G5?

Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:02 AM

see if you can get to the startup code by holding down the control and s keys after you power on the g5.

if you can and the code starts popping up on screen and release the keys. within that code there are a couple of lines towards the bottom that will say "if you wish to reboot:" and the code following that needs to be typed in exactly as shown.

also bing or google your answer alot of info is out there on youtube as well.

good luck!

here's something new i didn't know. i guess you could try this:

Interaction

You can enter Open Firmware by pressing the key combination

cmd-opt-O-F
just as you power on a Macintosh. The
cmd
key is the one with the Apple logo, and the
opt
(option) key is the same as the
alt
key. You should see a welcome message and some other verbiage, and should be dropped into a prompt like the following:

ok 0 >

You can continue booting the machine by typing

mac-boot
, or shut it down by typing
shut-down

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2013 6:02 AM in response to Gary D-E

see if you can get to the startup code by holding down the control and s keys after you power on the g5.

if you can and the code starts popping up on screen and release the keys. within that code there are a couple of lines towards the bottom that will say "if you wish to reboot:" and the code following that needs to be typed in exactly as shown.

also bing or google your answer alot of info is out there on youtube as well.

good luck!

here's something new i didn't know. i guess you could try this:

Interaction

You can enter Open Firmware by pressing the key combination

cmd-opt-O-F
just as you power on a Macintosh. The
cmd
key is the one with the Apple logo, and the
opt
(option) key is the same as the
alt
key. You should see a welcome message and some other verbiage, and should be dropped into a prompt like the following:

ok 0 >

You can continue booting the machine by typing

mac-boot
, or shut it down by typing
shut-down

Feb 19, 2013 2:09 AM in response to miktoxic

Thank you. First one didin't work for me. Found a Leopard OS disc had Disc Utility which got me as far as spinning cog. Latere noticed it gave me wi-fi to Time Machine. Now doing a full restore. This will apparently take 27 hours. Wish me luck!

Thanks for taking the time. If this fails I will revisit the Open Firmware option.

G5 start-up help needed please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.