Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Support - Bootcamp Downloads

I have had a bad experience with Apple Support concerning the install of Windows on my MacPro5,1. Though they spent time with me, they did not fix my problem. Well they sort of did, that's how I got here. The first person I spoke to was out of their depth when it came to installing Windows, so I was transferred to a "Senior Consultant"😉. He went through a few things and used all the cliches and in the end he just blamed my wireless router and said there is nothing to be done. Well thanks mate! If this person spent some time in this forum he may have learned something from you guys. I have and I thank you for it.

Being a pain-in-the-butt kind of guy I persisted, and was lucky enough to get a lady called Grace (an apt name) as my next support person. Now the most dangerous people in this world are the people "Who don't know they don't know", the Senior Consult guy for example. Grace knew she didn't know, so she put me on hold and tried to find out. Well she put me onto a site that then lead me here and it seems the first part of my problem is solved. I am now downloading the Windows support package for my Mac.

The hard part of this excercise, other then being fobbed-off by people in Apple Support, was finding out which Windows drivers for Mac I should download. Grace sent me to http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p824/bootcamp-drivers-direct-download-of-bootcampe sd-pkg and that is where the answer lies. At this page, if you scroll down to point 6, there is a list of urls that show each package available. Click on each until you find your Model Identifier Number and that is the package that you should download. I then came here and User Moof66, in a post on July 2nd, 2012, lists the download links. Champion bloke that Moof666😎. I just clicked on the download that matched my MacPro5,1 from the site supplied by Grace and I'm a happy camper.

Now I have to work-out how to install the package after the fabulously fast Apple servers finally deign to complete my download.......Back to the forum to find out.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 7:22 AM

27 replies

Feb 18, 2013 2:58 PM in response to Csound1

Thank you for your concern and your effort to protect me from myself.

I have no intention of doing anything without due diligence and I have no intenion of running this Windows installation without all the necessary parts installed. I only look and sound stupid.

I already have Windows installed without Bootcamp, but as Fusion 5 limits the Windows partition to 60Gb I am concerned that partition will be too small. If it is, then I will have to use Bootcamp, because I am going to use Windows to run a DAW and all the other software that entails. I don't know how much hard drive space that requires, therefore I am installing all the Windows software to assess it's space requirements, and believe me, when one is using Komplete 8 and SONAR that's a big job.

As you will know, when one sets up a music workstation one splits the load over three drives, and this has made my PC is so full of stuff I can't see the trees for the forest, so I am treating the Mac as a clean-skin and the Windows partition will be purely a music workstation. I know of no-one else who has done this, so I am flying by the seat of my pants.

When I have everything installed on the Windows partition I will know how big an SSD to buy as my new OS drive, and if I can't work out how to migrate the OS drive I will have to do it all again, but, I will have all the parts on hand and I won't have wasted money on too small an SSD.

All this must seem clumsy to a very Mac savvy guy like you, but I sold my last Mac in 1990 and I haven't a clue how they work anymore, besides, one certainly couldn't run Windows on that!

I have 5 years work in SONAR, and seeing it doesn't run on Macs, and I am through with PCs, I have to make this work. Then I will migrate my new work to Pro Tools on a flattened learning curve and I will have the best of both worlds.

If you have an enemy who has done what I am trying to do, maybe you could point me in their direction as your last act before you give up on me.

My thanks at the start of this diatribe were genuine and I repeat them now.

NASG

ps. I have assumed you didn't need smiley faces to understand my meanings.

pps. I have ordered ink cartridges.

Feb 18, 2013 3:01 PM in response to NotAppleSupportGuy

Fusion5 has no limits on Windows disk space, I don't know where you got the 60G from but it is not correct.

Are you using a Boot Camp partition for Fusion? so you can access Windows natively or in a VM?

Do Not install any drivers if this is a Fusion installation, if both only install the Boot Camp drivers in the copy of Windows running in Boot Camp.

Feb 18, 2013 3:17 PM in response to Csound1

Easy install on Fusion does limit one to 60Gb. I am not conifident enough in this Mac environment to do a custom install which is the only thing you would do. Me? I'm timid.

No because I didn't have the Windows support package and didn't know what I could stuff-up. It is a VM install devoid of any imput from Bootcamp.

I will not install any drivers until I have a better handle on this.

I thought I would run Bootcamp all along but when I couldn't do the download of Windows support I whacked the VM on because VM says it can use a Bootcamp partition later.

Feb 18, 2013 4:14 PM in response to Csound1

Please excuse my pp terminology. Yes that is what I have.

I don't know what I need. I just want the best option. I don't know what my work flow will be because it is all new. I have a feeling that a separate boot will be best in the beginning, but as I use SONAR less and Pro Tools more, that will change. Also, as you know these are system intense programs, and even allocating 2Gb of my pultry 6Gb of ram to Windows slows the Mac down alarmingly. I have 24Gb of 1600MHz ram on he PC, so this Mac is a shock with 6Gb at 1066Mhz. I will buy a 16Gb stick of ram each month until I reach what OWC says is this computers limit. They claim it is double that of Apple's specs.

Would it be out of order to ask your recommendation?

Feb 18, 2013 5:40 PM in response to Csound1

Good. My son's boyfriend (don't worry it's not a matter of "Father Like Son") is a Mac freak. He was a beta-tester back in 1854 or something, and he has more Mac gear than you can poke a stick at. He has told me the same thing about OWC, but the first rule is verification and then verification.

I have in my shopping basket at OWC a New Tech(?) HD caddy which does all the stuff. Firewire 800 included. Keeping in mind that I need to keep one Firewire port available for an Audio Interface. Also an OWC Extreme 240Gb SSD. See why I need to know how this will all pan out space-wise? I have the bottomn of the range Mac Pro and I need to upgrade it and my wallet has my wife's hand in it, so there is a limit. I don't have $1,000.00 for the bigger drive. We have to keep in mind that this box will really only have the following installed.

Windows

SONAR including all the synths and other software.

Pro Tools and it shares all the synths with SONAR

Final Cut pro

Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator

MS Office

All the little do-dads that come with Mountain Lion and the stuff you need to make it run, like iGetter and Flash.

Everything will run in Mac except Windows, SONAR (and Office initially).

My hard-drive set-up currently is : OS Drive 1TB, Audio Drive 1TB, Sample Drive 1TB and Media Drive 2TB. All are 7200rpm except the Media Drive which is 5400rpm. Reason I have to use this at the moment is that during the Mac set-up two 2TB drives would not work after they were taken out of the PC and then formatted in the Mac. I was really happy!!!!

The Sample and Audio drives are for the sole use of the DAWs. One for storing audio and the other for samples, hence their names. This serves these purposes. One to take the pressure off the OS drive for speed/latency and to store all the big files. They have to be 7200rpm really as the cycle-rate is constant and high all the time. The cycle rate precludes them being SSD (they wouldn't last two minutes in my opinion) and the noise of Raptors is far too high in the studio, as well as all that high cycle-rate at 10,000rpm would be murderous. Some guys run 'em, but not me.

I am quickly learning that there are 7200rpm drives and then there are 7200rpm drives. Some research needed here. I have only bought on price before, and brand to a lessor extent. Tended to favour WD, but now that two have karked-it, I have found out to get them replaced under their 5 year warranty I have to send them to Malaysia. That's BULLSHINE!

I hope not to have to use much more space than that except for Final Cut Pro which will need it's own 2TB drive and a 4TB drive for back-up. Unfortunately they will have to be external because I am out of bays. Can't use external for Final Cut Pro without a Firewire caddy anyway.

Sorry about the rave. If you know all this music stuff I'll never mention it again.

What do you know about these much more expensive drives?

Feb 19, 2013 7:33 AM in response to NotAppleSupportGuy

I like to use Seagate drives, I have had good service from them and have found them highly responsive to a failure (yes, I have had one). The RMA system was simple and an advance replacement was shipped to me the same day the failure occured, I had it in my hand 1 day later and had 14 days to return the busted one. (which was 4 years old when it died)

Apple Support - Bootcamp Downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.