Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safe online backup?

i'm planning to use an online backup service (Carbonite) but i'm afraid to backup sensitive data. where do i find the files that contain website username and password information?

and here's a paranoid question: i can choose not to backup certain files, but how can i be sure they are not being copied against my knowledge?...

thaks!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 3.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 24"

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:00 AM

I do not trust any sort of on-line backup services and use a combination of daily and weekly backups on several external Hard Drives.

I manually update a daily backup drive any time I add new file's, but Time Machine also works well for those that want something more automatic. I also keep two other backup drives that are Bootable Clones and rotate them weekly in and out of the fire safe.

Have a look at > My backup plan: Dan Frakes | Macworld it's a couple of years old, but still very informative.

I'm not sure exactly what Carbonite cost per year, but you should first weight that cost versus buying a couple of External Hard Drives over the period of a year or two.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2013 9:00 AM in response to dndn

I do not trust any sort of on-line backup services and use a combination of daily and weekly backups on several external Hard Drives.

I manually update a daily backup drive any time I add new file's, but Time Machine also works well for those that want something more automatic. I also keep two other backup drives that are Bootable Clones and rotate them weekly in and out of the fire safe.

Have a look at > My backup plan: Dan Frakes | Macworld it's a couple of years old, but still very informative.

I'm not sure exactly what Carbonite cost per year, but you should first weight that cost versus buying a couple of External Hard Drives over the period of a year or two.

Feb 18, 2013 9:18 AM in response to dndn

Carbonite performs poorly on a Mac.

There are no online backup services I can recommend, due to performance problems, security concerns, reliability, or all the above. Invest $100 in an external hard disk, preferably two external hard disks, keep them in separate geographical locations, rotate your backups, use different backup methods (e.g. Time Machine in addition to "clone" software) and you will be far better off than using any subscription service.

Feb 18, 2013 9:24 AM in response to den.thed

wow, i see none of you seem to trust online backup...

i do use time machine and back up files on another drive, but i don't have a safe space or a fire safe to store duplicate drives. it is also quite a cumbersome operation. it's true that the initial online backup takes a long time, but after that it backs up automatically and i won't have to think about it (if it can be trusted...)

i don't really have that much info on my computer that someone else could benefit from, except for the passwords, and that's why i don't want to save this file online. could someone please tell me the name of the file that stores my website passwords and its location?

thanks!

safe online backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.