Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HighPoint RocketRaid 6GB/s eSATA not launching my RAID 0 drive

Hi there,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) with 8 cores, 10GB RAM. In 2011, I bought the HighPoint RocketRaid 6GB/s eSATA for Mac RAID card (model number 644MLF I believe). It has 4 eSATA ports. The RAID 0 was initialized with four 1TB external hard drives (WD Caviar Black in Startech eSATA / USB enclosures). I'm running Lion operating system (whatever the latest 10.7.x).

Unfortunately the RAID management is software based and I was alwasy suspecious about that because Disk Utility doesn't do much with setting things up or manipulating, restoring, etc.

Anyway, I was running smoothly. One time I had a fail to launch after the computer accidentally went to sleep mode. I restarted it and after a few attempts it worked.

I wasn't happy with this kind of odd behaviour but I thought I would never let it sleep again. But about a month ago it happened again and whatever I did, I couldn't make it to launch my RAID drive. It makes that sharp continuous beep sound and the system becomes very unstable unless I turn off the drives or even take the RocketRAID card out of the system.

The problem is I had it for RAID 0 since I was working on whole bunch of uncompressed full HD footage and I needed to maximize the smooth image. I thought eventually I buy a 4 TB drive as a backup connect it to my Time Machine and it backs up the RAID 0 that way but 4TB drives are (were) not out when I did the setup and I was too optimistic running my assets without backup in this time period.

Anyway, long story short, I'm now stuck in a situation that I don't want to completely re-initialize my drives because most probably I will loose my content (anyone that knows this please comment). I went to Apple store, they tested the drives and said they are fine, and they can't do anything with the RocketRaid card since it is a third party hardware!!! So someone tells them why do you sell it then!!??

I tried to get a hold of HighPoint tech support but they don't answer any tech calls. I filled out a web based support form. I doubt they can give me direction by emails back and forth.

Anyone had that experience before? Did you manage solving the launch problem? How?

Thanks for your help.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 3,1 (2008)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:00 AM

buy some wd black 2TB drives for soare and backup, and even 3TB greens.

so you are using Apple DU software RAID and initialized with Lion is fine.

the drive enclosure is _______ ?

$140 http://www.softraid.com is a good product and feature set, can also take-over an Apple array. demo and manual, and email support at softraid.com they do respond in spades, and makes it worth buying if it sounds good.

HPT support is iffy, it has new 10.7.5 driver? or do you need to dual boot and get out your 10.6.8 system clone? and SL has no issues but 10.7.x on 2008/3, 1 doesin terms of power mgmt. you could try another lion clean install to test but some had to go back to 10.6.8.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2013 10:00 AM in response to arbous65

buy some wd black 2TB drives for soare and backup, and even 3TB greens.

so you are using Apple DU software RAID and initialized with Lion is fine.

the drive enclosure is _______ ?

$140 http://www.softraid.com is a good product and feature set, can also take-over an Apple array. demo and manual, and email support at softraid.com they do respond in spades, and makes it worth buying if it sounds good.

HPT support is iffy, it has new 10.7.5 driver? or do you need to dual boot and get out your 10.6.8 system clone? and SL has no issues but 10.7.x on 2008/3, 1 doesin terms of power mgmt. you could try another lion clean install to test but some had to go back to 10.6.8.

HighPoint RocketRaid 6GB/s eSATA not launching my RAID 0 drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.