Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 27" iMac (Feb 2013) Finder settings not saving

I have to keep re sizing the finder window, and switching views (icons, list, cover flow) every time I restart my machine. It doesn't remember the settings for Finder but remembers other folders settings on my desktop and other apps and programs. Suggestions appreciated.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:28 AM

8 replies

Feb 18, 2013 11:49 AM in response to WZZZ

Thank you for the replies...i do have things set in the view options for the Finder. I attached a photo to show my settings. Again this only happens to the finder everytime i start up the machine for the day or restart. None of my other folders seem affected just the finder for some strange reason.

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2013 12:32 PM in response to SJAM69

It might be the DS_Store file, which saves these folder settings is corrupted. There are ones for every folder on your Mac. It's invisible, so you first have to make it visible.

To do this, open Terminal in Utilities and copy/paste

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

Hit return, then copy/paste

killall Finder

and hit return again.

You'll see a bunch of usually hidden files and folders.

Now, for example, open /Applications and you'll see the DS_Store file responsible for that folder.

User uploaded file

Next, move that DS_Store file to the Trash and close /Applications. Don't empty the Trash yet. Now reopen /Applications and create new settings for it in View Options. Close /Applications and see if it's made a new DS_Store file. It should. If it didn't, then log out and back in and see if it does. If not, then just move the original DS_Store file back from the Trash to where it belongs.

To rehide the invisible files and folders, just change true to false in the above command and run killall Finder once again.

EDIT: if you'd like, you can do all the invisible showing and hiding from TinkerTool.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

EDIT: It might be none of this will work, since you are experiencing this issue on several folders and it may be unlikely all these DS_Store files will have become corrupted. In that case, you might try trashing the com.apple.finder.plist

To see it, enter ~/Library/Preferences in Go>Go to Folder in the menubar and scroll down. This will mean having to redo all your Finder preferences.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Feb 21, 2013 7:11 AM in response to WZZZ

yes, its just the Finder. when I click on the icon to open it from a restart or fresh power up, it always loses the position and stretch size settings. However, it is remembering Icon view, I also have it set that when the finder opens it opens to Applications and it remembers that. Just the position and window size is reset all the time.

New 27" iMac (Feb 2013) Finder settings not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.