Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Ringtones created in Garage Band into my iPhone 5 without erasing everything?

I created a Ringtone in GarageBand on my iMac. I was able to upload it to iTunes. I tried to sync it with my iPhone 5 but it says my iPhone isnt currently connected with my account (but it is) and it will erase all of my content. The ringtone isnt worth that much hassle but am I missing something? Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 11:09 AM

10 replies

Feb 18, 2013 12:28 PM in response to Marvso

1. Instead of exporting to iTunes from GB directly, save it on your desktop as an mp3 file (or export from GB as an mp3 on your desktop).

2. Import the mp3 into iTunes as you would normally do to add a song

3. Right click the imported mp3 and convert it to the AAC format

4. Now export the AAC format file to your desktop

5. Change the extension of the file to .m4r

6. Double-click the .m4r file from desktop so that it gets imported back into iTunes but this time as a ringtone

7. See if it appears under the ringtones section under iPhone in iTunes and then sync it from there. G

Feb 18, 2013 1:30 PM in response to lll

Ok I was able to covert it that way but still get this message when I try to sync

The iPhone “Marv's iPhone” is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?

The ringtones are showing up under Tones. Do I have to completely erase my phone and reinstall everything? Doesnt make sense. Everything else syncs fine.

Feb 18, 2013 1:40 PM in response to lll

By saying 1 iTunes Library at a time do you mean music is one library, books is one library, movies are one library, ect? I am a Mac newbie. I just bought my first iMac 3 weeks ago (LOVE IT) and an iPhone 5 in early fall coming from android (blech). Also I am unsure what you mean by drag and dropping the ring on my iphone. Would I do this within iTunes? I tried dragging the file into my devices where it has my iPhone listed. Sorry but I am undeducated 🙂

Feb 18, 2013 1:52 PM in response to Marvso

if your itunes is open and you see the sound created in it, and your iphone is listed in the left column of itunes, click on the little triangle next to it and clik to hilight the soud and drag it to your iphone on the left.

Maybe try youtube for a video drag and drop from itunes to iphone ?

Feb 19, 2013 10:53 AM in response to lll

OK this is weird. Today it worked just like you said it should 😁. Guess maybe I had to reboot my computer and iPhone 5. I was able to easily drop and drag into my iPhone and then did a normal sync.

Thanks everyone for their help. I hope Apple fixes this so it should be a little more intuitive.

How do I get Ringtones created in Garage Band into my iPhone 5 without erasing everything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.