Skip navigation

Mac OSX 10.8 has broken my mac pro 2010

949 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 10:10 PM by John Galt RSS
1 2 Previous Next
hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 18, 2013 11:36 AM

I downloaded and installed 10.8 on to my Mac Pro desktop 5.1 (2010) and now cannot boot the machine.

Cntrol R doesn't work

Safe mode doesn't work

Option doesn't work

This Mountain Lion has destroyed my disk drive and now I have a useless metal box.

ML works fine on my macbook air - it came installed - but this software cannot AND MUST NOT be used as an upgrade - unless you have apple care agreement and can wait for Amsys to get round to giving you a call

Has anyone else had such a total failure?

Shouldn't there be a warning on this mac version of windows vista?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Feb 18, 2013 1:05 PM (in response to hk richard)

hk richard wrote:

Has anyone else had such a total failure?

Shouldn't there be a warning on this mac version of windows vista?

Never. On any of my 5 Macs. What warning should be given? There are millions and millions of users with ML not having your issues. Have you attempted to Troubleshoot? If so, what have you done to date?

Cheers

Pete

• John Galt Level 7 Level 7 (33,110 points)
    Feb 18, 2013 1:14 PM (in response to hk richard)

I have tried and failed to make Mountain Lion destroy any of my systems. I will keep trying though.

Your HD may simply have been defective. Sometimes they fail with advance warning, sometimes they don't. Replace it and restore your system from its backup. Whatever the problem is, Mountain Lion was not the cause.

MacBooks  iMacs  iPads  AirPorts, OS X Mountain Lion,  28 years Apple!
  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Feb 18, 2013 1:48 PM (in response to hk richard)

hk richard wrote:

By process of elimination ML was the cause. System works fine with 10.6.8. I have perfectly good original HD (2010) and backup drives with time machine for this machine and household macbooks (wife and daughter). I download Lion, run install - and hey presto - Grey screen.

So we have tried start - option. No use but getting better. Can actually get to device select, I can insert original disk and select it - but it will not load. I have tried the recovery drive - that goes girectly to grey

We have tried control R and we can actually get the apple logo for a minute - before we go to grey

shift for safe mode - similar result

reset pram - no luck there

Given machine worked beautifully before this update - am pretty sure ML IS the cause. Of course begs the question - why did I upgrade?! I think to mirror the macbooks where ML works as the original software.

I believe I might not be alone with upgrade problems - but perhaps not quite so severe

Make an appointment with your local Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Sounds like Hardware Issues. As I stated, this is not happening to 99.9% of usures, so you have a problem with your individual Mac by the sounds of it.

Good Luck

Pete

• Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,385 points)
    Feb 18, 2013 2:01 PM (in response to petermac87)

Why do you press Control R, it won't do anything. Try Command R, that's what you are looking for.

Feb 18, 2013 2:03 PM (in response to hk richard)

This is a stretch but the Mac Pro's Xeon CPU uses specific ECC RAM. Problems such as you describe might be attributable to memory that does not meet its required specifications, and OS X upgrades have been known for exposing hardware flaws for years. Not causing them, but revealing defective hardware - big difference.

Run Apple Hardware Test using your Pro's original Applications DVD. Its results can be considered conclusive only if the RAM fails its tests though. If it passes AHT, consider using Rember though its results may not be conclusive either.

Another suggestion is to download and install the Snow Leopard Combo update prior to attempting a reinstallation of Mountain Lion. ML is supposed to perform an exhaustive test for system compatibility but there is a possibility of missing something. Aftermarket replacement hardware, if that is a possibility in your Pro, is almost certain not to survive an OS upgrade.

MacBooks  iMacs  iPads  AirPorts, OS X Mountain Lion,  28 years Apple!
    Feb 18, 2013 2:58 PM (in response to hk richard)

hk richard wrote:

... Is it possible to launch the HD from another computer? If I boot in option while connected to one of the laptops?

I do not believe you can, but if it is possible, it would be accomplished by starting a MacBook in Target Disk Mode (hold the t key while starting it) and starting your Pro using Startup Manager (hold an Option key)... but you said your Option key isn't working.

Connect the two with a FireWire cable. I will try it and let you know if it works for me... it may take a couple of hours.

Edit: Please tell me you have not set a Firmware Password.

• Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,385 points)
    Feb 18, 2013 3:04 PM (in response to hk richard)

Typo's that are repeated across more than 1 post require questioning, thanks.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.