Previous 1 2 Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 10:10 PM by John Galt
hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I downloaded and installed 10.8 on to my Mac Pro desktop 5.1 (2010) and now cannot boot the machine.

 

Cntrol R doesn't work

Safe mode doesn't work

Option doesn't work

 

This Mountain Lion has destroyed my disk drive and now I have a useless metal box.

 

ML works fine on my macbook air - it came installed - but this software cannot AND MUST NOT be used as an upgrade - unless you have apple care agreement and can wait for Amsys to get round to giving you a call

 

Has anyone else had such a total failure?

 

Shouldn't there be a warning on this mac version of windows vista?


PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (5,500 points)

    hk richard wrote:

     

     

    Has anyone else had such a total failure?

     

    Shouldn't there be a warning on this mac version of windows vista?

    Never. On any of my 5 Macs. What warning should be given? There are millions and millions of users with ML not having your issues. Have you attempted to Troubleshoot? If so, what have you done to date?

     

    Cheers

     

    Pete

  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (39,410 points)

    I have tried and failed to make Mountain Lion destroy any of my systems. I will keep trying though.

     

    Your HD may simply have been defective. Sometimes they fail with advance warning, sometimes they don't. Replace it and restore your system from its backup. Whatever the problem is, Mountain Lion was not the cause.

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    By process of elimination ML was the cause. System works fine with 10.6.8. I have perfectly good original HD (2010) and backup drives with time machine for this machine and household macbooks (wife and daughter). I download Lion, run install - and hey presto - Grey screen.

     

    So we have tried start - option. No use but getting better. Can actually get to device select, I can insert original disk and select it - but it will not load. I have tried the recovery drive - that goes girectly to grey

     

    We have tried control R and we can actually get the apple logo for a minute - before we go to grey

     

    shift for safe mode - similar result

     

    reset pram - no luck there

     

    Given machine worked beautifully before this update - am pretty sure ML IS the cause. Of course begs the question - why did I upgrade?! I think to mirror the macbooks where ML works as the original software.

    I believe I might not be alone with upgrade problems - but perhaps not quite so severe

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (5,500 points)

    hk richard wrote:

     

    By process of elimination ML was the cause. System works fine with 10.6.8. I have perfectly good original HD (2010) and backup drives with time machine for this machine and household macbooks (wife and daughter). I download Lion, run install - and hey presto - Grey screen.

     

    So we have tried start - option. No use but getting better. Can actually get to device select, I can insert original disk and select it - but it will not load. I have tried the recovery drive - that goes girectly to grey

     

    We have tried control R and we can actually get the apple logo for a minute - before we go to grey

     

    shift for safe mode - similar result

     

    reset pram - no luck there

     

    Given machine worked beautifully before this update - am pretty sure ML IS the cause. Of course begs the question - why did I upgrade?! I think to mirror the macbooks where ML works as the original software.

    I believe I might not be alone with upgrade problems - but perhaps not quite so severe

    Make an appointment with your local Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Sounds like Hardware Issues. As I stated, this is not happening to 99.9% of usures, so you have a problem with your individual Mac by the sounds of it.

     

    Good Luck

     

    Pete

  • Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (40,605 points)

    Why do you press Control R, it won't do anything. Try Command R, that's what you are looking for.

  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (39,410 points)

    This is a stretch but the Mac Pro's Xeon CPU uses specific ECC RAM. Problems such as you describe might be attributable to memory that does not meet its required specifications, and OS X upgrades have been known for exposing hardware flaws for years. Not causing them, but revealing defective hardware - big difference.

     

    Run Apple Hardware Test using your Pro's original Applications DVD. Its results can be considered conclusive only if the RAM fails its tests though. If it passes AHT, consider using Rember though its results may not be conclusive either.

     

    Another suggestion is to download and install the Snow Leopard Combo update prior to attempting a reinstallation of Mountain Lion. ML is supposed to perform an exhaustive test for system compatibility but there is a possibility of missing something. Aftermarket replacement hardware, if that is a possibility in your Pro, is almost certain not to survive an OS upgrade.

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This makes more sense

     

    I can't run the CD because I can't load a cd/dvd. I have got to the option screen and selected dvd install but it spins around and gets to the stars sky (pink blue) and hangs there.

     

    I want to get back to Snow Leopard - I will be happy with that so have no desire to reinstall ML - just as soon as I can get rid of it.  But meanwhile I will take look at the 16g of ram sitting inside and just check they are seated nicely and are the correct type

     

    thanks for that

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    typo methinks

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Ram seems OK

     

    3 x 4GB of ECC C7

    1 x 4 GB ECC

     

    I removed the odd one but still face the same problems.

     

    Is it possible to launch the HD from another computer? If I boot in option while connected to one of the laptops?

  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (39,410 points)

    hk richard wrote:

     

    ... Is it possible to launch the HD from another computer? If I boot in option while connected to one of the laptops?

     

    I do not believe you can, but if it is possible, it would be accomplished by starting a MacBook in Target Disk Mode (hold the t key while starting it) and starting your Pro using Startup Manager (hold an Option key)... but you said your Option key isn't working.

     

    Connect the two with a FireWire cable. I will try it and let you know if it works for me... it may take a couple of hours.

     

    Edit: Please tell me you have not set a Firmware Password.

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I thought about T boot

     

    My daughter has a mac pro - my wife a mac air (no chance) but then I thought as you said I will need the target to work...

     

    I might try it - I have a firewire cable holding my cats' catflap up under the stairs where his ensuite toilet is - seriously! The cat is too dumb to push the flap!  Appreciate if you think it possible. i have the machine under warranty so I am facing a repair hopefully covered

     

    I wonder if the video card is problematic - the big red 1gb card ATI Radeon

  • Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (40,605 points)

    Typo's that are repeated across more than 1 post require questioning, thanks.

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    no firmware password - didn't know was possible or how to

     

    will have to try the firewire cables in the morning - daughter is busy with machine - and stroppy

  • hk richard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    granted - good eye for detail - appreciated I could easily have been hitting the wrong key.  I didn't realise the new macs have alt keys...

Previous 1 2 Next