Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone won't sync with Outlook contacts or calendar anymore. Any idea how to do this now?

I used to be able to sync my iphone contacts and calendar entries (home calendar) with outlook and now it won't work. How can I fix this?

Dell, Windows XP

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:33 PM

36 replies

Feb 18, 2013 1:56 PM in response to Mimsicle

Does iTunes Show an error message?

How did you setup syncing with Outlook, are you syncing them via iTunes using USB or Wi-Fi or an Exchange server?

For more info on USB syncing and all of the other options, take a look at this Apple doc -> iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer

If you aren't sure try setting up USB syncing again, just connect the iPhone to the computer, open iTunes, click the Info tab across the top of the screen, scroll down to Contacts and choose to sync contacts.

User uploaded file

Contacts

To sync contacts with your computer, choose "Sync Contacts with" within iTunes for Windows, or "Sync Address Book Contacts" on your Mac.

You can sync your contacts with:

• Microsoft Outlook 2003, Microsoft Outlook 2007, Microsoft Outlook 2010 (Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7)
  • Windows Address Book (Windows XP)
  • Windows Contacts (Windows Vista / Windows 7)
  • Address Book (Mac OS X)
  • Microsoft Entourage 2004, Microsoft Entourage 2008, or Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac
    Note: If using Microsoft Entourage, use Microsoft Entourage 2008 12.1.2 or later if syncing with Mac OS X v10.6 or later. If you would like to sync data on your Mac with Entourage, enable syncing between Entourage and Address Book.

Notes:

• When syncing contacts, you can choose to sync all of your contacts or only selected groups. The option to sync selected items may not show up until after the first sync.
  • You can select a group of contacts to which all new contacts created on your iOS device will be added.
  • Additional options for syncing include syncing your contacts with Yahoo or Gmail/Google Mail. You will need to configure it with the user name and password for your Yahoo or Google account.

Feb 18, 2013 4:16 PM in response to whatheck

Unfortunately, I don't have that option anymore. I tried to save a picture but I can't figure that out either.

Here is what it says:

"Your contacts are being synched with your iphone over the icloud. Over the air settings can be changed on your iphone."

And the same message is for my calendar.

When I try to change the settings on my iphone to turn off the synching over iCloud it gives me another message, "What would you like to do with the previously synched iCloud contacts on your iphone? Keep on my iphone, delete from my iphone" which makes me very nervous to delete anything

Any other ideas??

Thank you in advance!!!

Apr 24, 2013 10:27 AM in response to Mimsicle

Connect your iPhone to your computer, and open iTunes>Info Tab.

If contacts and calendar are set to iCloud, you will see ""Your contacts are being synched with your iphone over the icloud. Over the air settings can be changed on your iphone."

On the iPhone, go to Settings>iCloud, and you may find that your Contacts and Calendars are set to sync with iCloud (the setting is "ON"). If you turn one or more of these settings "OFF", you will be asked whether you want to delete the data on the iphone. You can choose whether you want this, but for me, I kept the data on the iPhone that had previously been synced with iCloud.

You'll notice that upon taking this step, you now have the option to sync your Contacts and Calendar to Outlook.

Good luck,

Al

May 20, 2013 1:01 PM in response to Mimsicle

Thank you so much. I followed your instructions and voila! Everything is synching now.

I have wasted hours trying to figure this one out! I think it must have changed on my phone with a recent software update because it had been working and all of the sudden nothing was synching! It would be easier if Apple would just spell it out in I-tunes instead of saying you can change it on the phone. I do sync over the air with Outlook through a wireless conection so I wasn't tuning in to what they were saying.

Kimn1955

Aug 22, 2013 12:42 AM in response to atstech1

You can sync your contacts with the help of iClould and Outlook. If you want to try iClould to sync iPhone ontacts to outlook, please do the setting before.

Go to settings then to iCloud. Deselect teh Contacts. Make sure to keep on phone. You can sync afterwards with Outlook. It might create some duplicates, but for me i prefer to see where my contacts are synched.

Jan 31, 2014 9:50 PM in response to atstech1

Same problem and tried all of the above except icloud which I don't want to use. Actually reset iphone as new three times and uninstalled and reinstalled itunes and still stuck. phone will sync photos, music but not contacts or calendars.

Tried your solution above but it locks up on syncing contacts and does nothing but continually tell me it's syncing.

Desperate for a solution and I really don't want to use icloud.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2014 8:29 AM in response to tpoe1967

I have the same problem with syncing hanging using an iPhone 5S and Outlook 2013. I spent 3 hours with Apple support yesterday without success - one hour in a store and then 2 hours with a supervisor in telephone support. They said they don't support Outllok 2013, which no one told me before I signed the phone contract. But syncing worked fine for the first few months and then suddenly stopped working. now it just hangs on "Syncing calendars".

Apple is running this by the engineers, but I'm not optimistic. I'm hoping I can get my contract shifted so I can get a Windows phone and presumably not have to deal with this problem. A phone without contacts and calendar is not very attractive.

May 15, 2014 9:16 AM in response to Mimsicle

There is one huge problem with all of the answers provided; at one time, the requester's IPhone or i-device was syncing with microsoft outlook, and so they already have the necessary software on their computer and probably already have the right settings in their Apple devices. In this case, I have determined that the problem is likely that the iCloud add-in has been disabled for one reason or another on your computer, sometimes even by security software downloaded on your computer. On Outlook 2010, here's how you fix it. Go to File, Options, and go down to Add-Ins right above the Trust Center. You should see the iCloud add-in in the "Active Applications" section. If it is located in the "Disabled Applications" section, this is definitely your problem. Go down to the tab at the bottom of the screen next to the word "Manage:" and select "Disabled Items." Click on the iCloud add-in and select "Enable" and then "OK" everything and exit Outlook altogether. When you go back into Outlook, you should be able to move items to the iCloud calender and have it sync again with your iCloud or iPhone. How did I figure this out? Trial and error. I cannot say this is the answer to all syncing problems, but it helped me get my iPad and iPhone syncing again with my Outlook calendar. I just hope my computer doesn't think its messed up again after re-enabling the add-in. Hope this helps!

Jan 29, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Jike2

Thank you Jike2,

I had the exact same problem on only one of the two computers I use. The calendar stop syncing on only one computer. All the other devices (iPhone, iPad, computer) where syncing normaly except that one computer that stop a few days ago. I checked the Add-Ins section and sure enough the iCloud module was disabled. After re-enabling the add-in and voila everything back to normal. What puzzle me is why it was disabled. I have been using it on that computer for years with no problems.

My iphone won't sync with Outlook contacts or calendar anymore. Any idea how to do this now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.