Wait for rev B?

Hi, all.

What's the word on rev B Intel iMacs? Are they worth waiting for, or are people generally pleased with their rev A? I know there are no certain answers to such questions, but I was just curious what iMac users here thought. I have a great promo deal for the iMac that expires soon, and I'm wondering whether to jump on it now or wait.

Also, is there an appreciable difference in iMac performance between 1.5 and 2 gigs of RAM?

Any feedback appreciated.

DPL



G4 466, iBook 1.2 Mac OS X (10.4.1)

iBook G4 1.2, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 15, 2006 2:15 PM

Reply
5 replies

May 15, 2006 2:53 PM in response to David Letwin

There's always going to be something better if you wait long enough. My iMac 17" Core Duo rocks! Is very fast and have had no problems with it. If Apple does release a rev b in the next few months i don't really see many changes. Maybe the 1.83 goes up to 2.0 and the 20" model gets the 2.16. I think the GPU will be staying in the iMac for a long time. The ATi 1600 is a very good middle of the road GPU that has alot of life left in it. It's sure a big step up from the GPUs Apple used in the G5 iMacs.

lenn

May 15, 2006 10:40 PM in response to David Letwin

David,

Definitely pull the trigger now, while you still have your finger on it.

If you have a good deal now, and you feel that the current Intel iMacs will fulfill your needs, then I would suggest you go ahead and get it now. With the exception of some professional apps that are not yet in universal format, these new iMacs are very fast, very efficient and very stable.

With regards to a rev b coming up, well here is what I have to say: Software changes very quickly, but I noticed that people's needs don't do so as fast. With the exception of work stuff (come to think of it, even with that), my personal needs have not really changed in the last 4 years---some photo editing, music, surfing, word processing. In that amount of time imacs have moved from the "lampshade" flat panel models to the current iMac Intels, and to tell you frankly, the iMac flat panel of four years ago will still fulfill my needs now (even on a professional level, actually).

What I'm saying is that another "newer" model may come up eventually (That's inevitable), but the Intel iMacs will not be outmoded with regards to your "needs" any time soon.

In fact, with Intel being a new platform, you can only expect forward movement in terms of new products, software and services in this area.

As to when the rev B will be coming... well, who knows. So if you've got a good deal now, go for the Intel iMac---it's the newest one out there so you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

May 16, 2006 8:14 AM in response to d-mo

D-mo,

Thanks very much for the feedback. Just to be clear, I was only asking about rev b from the standpoint of Apple working out the kinks, not from a 'user needs' point of view. I heard there was a big difference between the rev a and b G5 iMacs, and was wondering whether folks felt the first iteration of the intel iMac was sufficiently stable and bug free to warrrant buying.

Seems like most of the compliants here have to do with the lack of this or that universal app, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of machine. Every once and a while, however, I come across a post which runs down the reliability of the Intel Mac from a hardware point of view. I don't want to buy the thing and then find out I'm essentially beta testing for Apple.

You seem happy wth your Macintel, though, as do many others, so the trigger finger is getting itchy...

Regards,

DPL

This thread has been closed by the system or the community team. You may vote for any posts you find helpful, or search the Community for additional answers.

Wait for rev B?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.