14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 7:51 PM by John Cogdell
CMBP Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

Can anyone tell me how to download music from say Mactube into iTunes so that I can import it into iMovie. There are many tutorials on YouTube but all are at least two years old and often require a downloaded application. If this is possible I should also like to know how to split the music clip to either reduce the length or delete say the vocal part before I import the music into iMovie without the whole lot and then trying to drag 4 minutes  back to around 15 seconds or so through many video clips. I understand copyright and only want the music for personal consumption as a background for some movie making.  Does this usually require MP3 conversion ?  Can the downloaded sound on a video be separated ? Any help would be appreciated.

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), imovie 11
  • greenblue1144 Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)

Just download the audio file to your desktop and drag and drop it into itunes. If you need it to be mp3 edit the file name before dragging to itunes from whatever it is to .mp3

• CMBP Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

DSfilms thanks, but how do I download the audio file to my desk top ?  I used to use Download Helper with Firefox but how do I do it with Safari ?

I don't understand exactly what you usually do, but I use a lot of music off youtube. This is not illegal. (although I never use it for profit either...) You can find the song that you would like to use on youtube and then copy the link and paste it into this website: http://www.video2mp3.net

The website is free and there are a lot of ads, but it will give you a download link. Drag the downloaded file to your desktop. Also, you cannot seperate vocals from background music. Hope this helps!

• Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (31,630 points)

DSfilms5 wrote:

…  I use a lot of music off youtube. This is not illegal. …

be careful sharing any legal advice:

a) laws differ from country to country (this is an international board)

b) 'downloading' violates the Terms of Use of YouTube!

you signed, to stream content only ...

Well, you may be right though I've been told otherwise. However, using it for nonprofit I think should be ok.

Karsten Schluter  My understanding is that music copyright ends 50 years after the material is produced.  As I am really only interested in stuff recorded pre-war and just post war (big band) I wonder whether it is still covered.  I even thought the Beatles were awful ! As soon as musicians started to plug their instruments into power points, I switched off. Anyway, is downloading a portion for personal use ONLY, breaking the law?  Who holds the copyright for National Anthems ?  It sure is a minefield.  DSfilms5  I realise that vocals cannot be separated in music audio files  I just wanted to split the clip and take it out !  How do I do that ? Is it possible to separate an audio from a video in the same way one can do it by suppressing it in iMovie ? Codecs and file types tend to confuse me as there are so many.  I had a look at  http://www.video2mp3.net  originally and distrusted the site because of the type of advertisements which I thought to be scams and reflected on their product.

Yeah, those sites are bothersome with pop-up ads and so on, but eventually you get what you want and I have checked and scanned for any other junk that it might have downloaded. It seems safe.

On another note, if the youtube video is under "creative commons" and the uploader has assumed ownership of the material, downloading is legal.

DSfilms5 wrote:

Well, you may be right though I've been told otherwise. However, using it for nonprofit I think should be ok.

I don't know who's 'otherwise'.

you signed with Google/Youtube a contract.

And it clearly says:

No. no downloads.

http://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

§6.k

CMBP wrote:

Karsten Schluter  My understanding is that music copyright ends 50 years …

again, read my reply to DSfilms - laws differ from country to country.

example #1 the socalled Cliff-Richard-addendum in GB prolonged that to 70y

example #2: here in Germany there's no © at all, we have a different system

example #3: Warner Bros. own the © to 'HappyBirthday' in the US, although 130y old ........

I just wanted to say: be careful with legal advices on an internatinal board.

(at last: never trust legal advices on an internet board )

Thanks for that Karsten. I appreciate the advice

CMBP wrote:

Thanks for that Karsten. I appreciate the advice

you're welcome …

I didn't want to scare you, and what happened in your living-room stays in you living-room (me no angel either) ..... but being a sort-of Silver-Back at this forum, I have to advice the younger padawans ...

• John Cogdell Level 5 Level 5 (4,605 points)

CMBP wrote:

I should also like to know how to split the music clip to either reduce the length or delete say the vocal part before I import the music into iMovie without the whole lot and then trying to drag 4 minutes  back to around 15 seconds or so through many video clips

This can be done using a free application "Audacity". It has a great range of tools, including Fade In and Fade Out. You could also use GarageBand.

Whilst Audacity is a free download, there is an option available to make a donation if you feel so inclined. It can be downloaded here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net

To delete a section of the audio, firstly click and drag across the unwanted part of the waveform, then in the Menu select Edit > Remove Audio or Labels ⇒ Cut. This will remove the highlighted section. You can also Split and Trim audio, plus lots more! There is also a wide range of Export options, including AIFF (Apple) and MP3. Help is available from the Menu.

These instructions apply to the latest version: Audacity 2.0.3 (the currently downloadable version for Mac).

John

Many thanks John.  I feel a bit of an idiot as I already have Audacity on my computer.  I put it there a couple of years ago but never used it. I'll certainly give it a go.  All I have to do is find some suitable music and be able to download it. !   I did in fact get a CD with all sorts of sounds and music that was copyright free,  but there is absolutely nothing on it that I can use.  It is just a whole lot of awful modern stuff together with the sort of bangs, thunder, booms cacophonous "music" and repetitive musical notes that seems to be so fashionable as a background on all videos, movies and even documentaries these days.  it's a younger generation thing I guess.  I once watched "River Dance" and counted over 70 different shots within one minute.  I had to switch it off as I couldn't handle it.  It's the same with background audio.  Am I Robinson Crusoe ?

• John Cogdell Level 5 Level 5 (4,605 points)

Although you already have Audacity, it will be best if you download the latest version 2.0.3 as it has many improvements. Also, items in the Menu are different in some areas, plus there are some new additions. Downloading the new version will not wipe out the old one - you can have both in your Applications folder, but can't have both open at the same time (I still have version 1.2.5, as well as the latest).

I fully understand your comments regarding the modern trends with film/video and audio. Whilst I enjoy some of it, being of the older generation myself, I lean towards the "old" style. For example, I generally prefer editing wedding anniversary's (like 50th's) now rather than weddings, as it's much easier to pick appropriate "old" style music, particularly from the 1940's to the 1960's. I'm never quite sure what to use when editing a younger family member's or friend's wedding video, but usually seem to pick something they like. It's always best to ask of course!

So, I don't think you are Robinson Crusoe!

Regards

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell