Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Units Manager rescans after every startup

After experience ZERO problems on my Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion, I recently also upgraded my Mac Pro to Mountain Lion.

However on my Mac Pro - my Audio Units Manager rescans my plugins every time I open Logic (after a restart)

(This is NOT an issue on my laptop - only the desktop mac)

I think I "understand" the problem - my user cache is not showing the file: "com.apple.audiounits.cache"

The file isn't being created (or saved obviously)

(this file does exist on my laptop)

Unfortunately I have no idea how to correct this problem

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 5:03 PM

22 replies

Feb 18, 2013 8:31 PM in response to jlcnyc0

That's all I got, looks like there's been a few others with the same problem and no real answer.

You've repaired permissions on your system drive?

I guess you could try trashing Logic's preferences, onnly a guess, it does seem to fix quite a few problems through.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2375

also the control surface file which also causes a series of odd problems, It's inyour User/yourname/Library/preferences.. has a .cs extension.

Feb 21, 2013 12:56 PM in response to grdh20

Thanks to all for the help

Actually I think the problem is that the file: "com.apple.audiounits.cache" is NOT being created after scanning the plugs. Sometimes when I look in the user library, the "audiounits.cache" file exists (and Logic opens properly). Other times (especially after a restart) I look in the library and file does NOT exist???? Still investigating.

Unfortunately the issue is intermittent at this point. I can't recreate the problem consistently.

I've repaired permissions, created a new user..... but still haven't figured it out. But at least Logic works!!!!

FYI - I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion AND also upgraded to ProTools 10 (from PT9) - I'm thinking that may have something to do with this issue?

Will keep an eye on it.

(and btw - I don't have Novation Automap installed)

Feb 23, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Pancenter

UPDATE:HELP!!!!
I'm still having problems with the cache in my user account.

EVERY TIME I open Logic (after a RESTART), Logic does a full audio units rescan (because the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache" keeps disappearing from my user library cache)

When opening Logic in 64-bit mode - I notice that even AFTER a full AU scan - the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache" is not being created? weird!
When opening Logic in 32 bit mode - it seems to consistently CREATE the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache".
(but after restart, cache no longer shows the file "com.apple.audiounits.cache")

I've repaired permissions - no luck
I've trashed Logic prefs - no luck
I've created a NEW USER account - and the problem does NOT (seem to) exist. The cache is consistently being retained in the NEW USER (even after start up)

What is this telling me?
Corrupt user account?
What's my next move????

I don't know if this is a Mountain Lion issue? or a Logic issue?

Also - I'm not completely clear when the problem started - but it was definitely post-Mountain Lion.
I only recently upgraded to ML on my studio Mac Pro (after experiences NO problems with ML on my laptop)

FYI - Very soon after upgrading to ML, I also installed ProTools 10. I wondered if PT10 may be the problem - but I've since uninstalled PT10 - and the problem still exists.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Apr 14, 2013 11:40 AM in response to jlcnyc0

Any joy yet? I've been experiencing the same problem as listed above. So frustrating it has been that I've disabled ALL 32bit plugs and don't even bother with them any more. As well as this problem, I get told Faulty MIDI Driver after startup too and get instructed to restart Logic.

I've reinstalled Logic, I've repaired my home directory, I've run a Terminal command (Sorry, forgotten it now and can't find my record of it at the mo!) and still, after startup, Logic does it's rescan then tells me midi is faulty.

I think "BAH HUMBUG!" sums my mood up right now.

Any further solutions other than the above would, of course, be warmly received.

Oh I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 btw.

Thanks

Paul

Apr 14, 2013 1:18 PM in response to jlcnyc0

Thx so much for the speedy reply.

Could you give me a simple run through of how you set up another account and did the migration side of things?

I'm not completely dumb but I've tried this method and am having trouble.

I set up a new account, although I gave it admin priveleges, perhaps that was a mistake, and upon running Logic it won't even start it's usual info screen, telling you what its doing, without crashing.

If you could talk me through what you did I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2013 1:30 PM in response to Electronicaz

I'm probably not the guy to walk you through it - a bit of trial and error on my part

(plus it was a few weeks ago - don't remember the entire process)

Basically just created a new user account with admin privledges

Most* software should work for any "user account" on the computer

My "migration" was basically copying files and folders from old user onto external hard drive and then copying into new user home.

New user with admin privilidges sounds correct so

not sure why logic won't open????

* - Most of my 3rd party plug-ins still worked in the new user account - BUT I had to re-install a few 3rd party plugins (FXpansion BFD drums comes to mind)

Maybe try Logic forum also?

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Good luck!

Audio Units Manager rescans after every startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.