Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

consolidating project files from multiple drives

I need ideas on how to manage redundant media that is over multiple drives.

Example: I import footage into an FCPX Event. I connect two additional drives and copy that Event onto the additional drives. The purpose for this is for three editors to be able to work independently on various edits with access to identical source footage. In the process of editing, each editor may have imported additional media into the Event. And after all three edits are finalized, I want to consolidate the three drives into one drive.

What is the best way to go about this without duplicating the original source footage that each editor received on their drive? Does FCPX simply merge Event libraries- only copying what is not already there? That would be ideal.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 5:24 PM

1 reply

Feb 20, 2013 5:32 AM in response to macambassador

If any editor imports new media, they need to hand that new media off to the other editors ASAP. Not wait until you're in this situation.

I'd have each editor keyword any added media with something like "Additional Media". Then you can easily export those, and import them to Events on the other machines.

Or, have each Editor create a new Event for the media they are adding. Copy those Events over to the other drives. If you want to merge after that, here's the user manual page.

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verc1face68

consolidating project files from multiple drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.