Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom software instrument plays wrong sound...

Hi all,

I have kind of a weird one. I have created quite a few custom software instruments (using this method... http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/garageband-ilife-2/creating-a-custom-garageband-i nstrument) with my own sets of vintage keyboard samples. I have created things like a harpsichord, vintage synths, and multiple sounds from a vintage keyboard called a Mellotron. The Mellotron has several different sound settings (things like Cello, Flutes, Strings, Violins and Choir Voices) and I have created a new software instrument for each of the Mellotrons sound settings. So, essentially in the "Sound Effects" category of my Software Instruments list I have... Mellotron Cello, Mellotron Voices, etc. They work great and play correctly while I have the file open. I have recorded many parts and all sounds good, but... once the file is closed and reopened "Mellotron Cello" now sounds like "Mellotron Strings"... As does "Mellotron Voices" (The Real Instrument track is still lableled correctly, just plays the wrong sound). It seems to be only these two Mellotron instruments. All of the other Mellotrons intruments sound find upon reopening, as do other custom SW instruments I've created (i.e. harpsichord).

This problem has shown up irregularly, meaning... This happened a few months ago, I changed the sounds back and they stayed intact until just recently (Mellotron Cello sounded like a Mellotron Cello). Now every time I open a song file that contains Mellotron Cello, the sound has changed to the Mellotron Strings... (Like I said before the title of the instrument track is correct it just plays the wrong sound)...Same with the Mellotron Voices (again just those two).

It seems to me that GB is referencing the wrong samples, but not sure how that could be. I have opened up "Package Contents" for the softwared instrument, and all of the samples in the folder sound correct.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GarageBand 3.0.4-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 5:41 PM

1 reply

Custom software instrument plays wrong sound...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.