Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 10.8 User Websites 404 - where did ~user/Sites go?

Well, I've spent the past 12 hours on this problem...

Replaced our companies outside-user 9-year old Xserve with a Mac Pro Server.

As many have posted, web services to my.company.ext:/~username/ no longer works - Apache has to be directed somehow to look in a users Sites folder.

I've tried the UserDir Sites option in the httpd.conf - and a lot of other desperate attempts, without sucess. Not many posts on Mountain Lion (10.8) - suggestions for 10.7 don't seem to apply. Apache doesn't even load its pages from the default directories anymore (/Library/WebServer/Documents)... I found I had to modify the index.html.en file in the directory /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default/, in order to just get a web page up to inform extremely irritated users that we are working on it.

How do I enable the web pages for individual user websites?

Looks like this is the last OS X server we will evey buy... this has been a nightmare.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 1:13 AM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2015 8:01 PM in response to davebwr

Hi,

I ran into the same problem updating the Server.app on a Mac mini still running Mavericks. After reading this exchange, I found that it was not necessary to move or copy the /User/username/Sites folder anywhere. Setting up the alias "/~username" --> "/Users/username/Sites" worked just fine. The only trouble is that---as written here---one such alias must be entered for every single user.

The Mavericks Server.app also allows setting up a Grep-patern alias, which should be possible to set up so that entering "/~namestring" attempts to serve the contents of the folder "/Users/namestring/Sites", where "namestring" is anything that a client enters in their browser. The Grep-patern for "namestring" of course should be set up so that a nefarious client could not possibly enter a string that ends up being executed while parsing and cause havoc... which is something I am not sure how to do.

Cheers, Tristan

Server 10.8 User Websites 404 - where did ~user/Sites go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.