Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access Mac OS X desktop or Recovery mode.

Hi,

I am attempting to boot my Mac. I'm presented with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel on a standard boot and it will eventually stop at a grey screen. It doesn't progress beyond this point - it simply heats up and the fans go on.

When attempting to boot into recovery mode, I am presented with the same screens, however on the recovery boot I am presented with Navy Blue and Black vertical lines across the entirety of the display.

I have attempted resetting PRAM and have performed a disk check in Single User Mode - all seems to be fine in both areas, however the computer still will not boot.

This is a MacBook Pro 15" (late 2011) with upgraded RAM 8GB (from Apple), 750GB HD 7000Rpm from Apple and an upgraded processor.

Any help would be exceptional!

Regards,

Will

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:45 PM

11 replies

Feb 19, 2013 2:39 AM in response to NetHub IT

Boot to the Online Internet Recovery system. Hold down the Command+Option+r keys until you see a Spinning Globe in the center of the screen. From that run disk utility and check the drive.

If when booting from the Online Internet Recovery system are are again presented with a striped screen image then it is a internal hardware problem. But I doubt that is the problem. I think it is your hard drive failing as if it was a graphics card problem you would get that striped screen all the time and not the Apple Logo and spinning wheel then the white screen. It would be striped from the first press of the power button.

Feb 19, 2013 4:42 AM in response to NetHub IT

Hi.

(sorry for my bad english)

I have exactly the same problem.

Sometimes, on boot, the Apple logo is red/pink, with little horizontal stripes,

and after that i have a grey screen, or the vertical blue stipes, like the first post.

The boot on another disk with Mountain Lion don't work.

I'm sure all this problems comes with the last SMC Firmware Update 1.7. like this post

Sometimes, after several tries, he boot. Sometimes not.

The chime on startup is always here.

When the boot is ok :

• The Disk Utility found no problems.
  • fsck -fy : no problems.

When the boot is not ok :

• fsck -fy : **** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
  • fsck -fy again : The volume Mac appears to be OK
  • "reboot", and no change, he don't reboot normaly.

Mar 20, 2013 4:07 PM in response to NetHub IT

I am experiencing the EXACT same thing on my 2011 iMac with Mountain Lion. I took it to the Apple Store and their only suggestion was also that it might be the video card. Of course they couldn't tell me if that was definitely the case, but that the only way to know was if they installed the new video card and charged me $300. They also recommended that I backup all my data and reinstall the operating system which process I am currently attempting (with great difficulty as my computer will boot to the OS maybe one out of 10 tries.) Anyway, I'm just wondering if you've found a solution.

Mar 4, 2014 8:57 AM in response to NetHub IT

Hi @NetHub IT

Did you by any chance get it working again? I seem to have run into the exact same problem.

I was working in photoshop earlier today on my 2011 macbook pro when the screen froze and i had to restart (first time ever that my macbook froze). The chime came and the apple with the loading circle, which was only followed by a grey screen, fans spin up but laptop is unresponsive, e.g not even caps lock goes green.

If i boot in safe mode, it gets the blue and black vertical stripes as you mentioned. Any ideas?

Sep 29, 2014 8:24 AM in response to NetHub IT

Has anyone narrowed down what OP was experiencing? Was it a video card problem or memory problem. My problem is exactly as OP described (15in, Apple spec upgrades, only early 2011 MacBook Pro). I can target the machine and boot it from my other computer, but it won't come up on its own.

PRAM didn't help

Single User didn't help (Says things are fine)

SMC reset did not help

Recovery mode gives me blue lines

Normal boot shows apple logo, then gray screen

Holding down option shows my harddrive and Recovery as options

Tried Apple's online hardware tester (option D?) and it says nothing is wrong

Ran disk utility from another computer, no problems found

Thank you!

Oct 18, 2014 5:15 AM in response to bhkien

I doubt that the original poster found a solution for his/her problem. The problem with 2011 models is caused by cracking solder due to a defect in Apple's manufacturing process. There are many threads about the problem on this board, if you've a 2011 model (see -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?tstart=0).

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15” Late 2011), OS X Yosemite 10.10, 16GB Crucial RAM, 960GB M500 Crucial SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Cannot access Mac OS X desktop or Recovery mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.