Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup while extending wireless

I set my timecapsule to extend my NON-Airport wireless network: I'm extending a network from a philips router that supports WDS and everything is fine.

But I cannot see the backup drive while I'm connected to the extended network.

Is it possible to enable time machine backup while extending a wireless network?

Thank you,

Daniele (from Italy, sorry for my English)

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 6:45 AM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2013 12:29 PM in response to danielev

Do not use "Join a Wireless Network" if at all possible.

You cannot extend a non-apple wireless network. If you have setup WDS.. it is poor security ie WEP only.. and slow being limited to G wireless.

Bridge the TC and use EOP (homeplug) adapters to get the connection between TC and router.. anything but wireless repeater which is the worst possible setup.

Feb 22, 2013 1:03 AM in response to danielev

That is likely because the TC is now invisible..

Can you see the TC at all using airport utility?? If not you cannot do it this way.. that is what I am telling you.. you cannot backup to a TC that is not on the network.

If you can see it with the airport utility make sure that hard disk is set with guest account turned on.

In finder mount the disk in the TC drive.. once you mount the drive TM will be able to find it..

Backups will take days.. and network traffic will come to a halt whilst it is backing up.

Backup while extending wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.