Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Disk, reinstall disk ... help :)

Hello,

First, sorry for my english ... i'm french 🙂

New in this univers, i just by a macbook pro last week.

Afraid to make a fatal mistake i would like to make a full restore disk, or full backup, whitch can let me restore this mac by using a DVD. I don't use the time machine or time capsule...

Can someone help me ?

Many many thanks

Xtophe

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:31 AM

5 replies

Feb 19, 2013 8:39 AM in response to Xtophe_77

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If I'm not wrong, you want to make a bootable DVD of the operating system to reinstall OS X on your Mac.

New Macs have got Internet Recovery, so if you made a mistake and OS X doesn't start, just press Command and R keys while your Mac is starting and reinstall OS X, and you won't lose anything.

However, your Mac will redownload OS X each time you want to reinstall OS X, so you should make a bootable disc of the operating system. As your Mac is new, I'm not sure if this will work, but open App Store app, go to Purchases tab and download OS X Mountain Lion. When it finishes, download Lion Diskmaker to make a bootable DVD with OS X inside.

Also, I recommend you to make backups of your computer because all hard drives fail and you will lose all your data if your hard drive fails. Any external drive will work to make backups with Time Machine or a clone app as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper

Feb 19, 2013 8:41 AM in response to Xtophe_77

You might want to look into Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. Both are cloning software you can use to back up to external disks. They both allow you to boot into the clone and use it to restore your internal hard drive.

Your new Macbook Pro has Internet Recovery which will allow you to boot to Apple's servers using the Command+Option+R keys, use Disk Utility to erase your internal drive and reinstall OS X Mountain Lion back to factory installation.

Feb 19, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Xtophe_77

Xtophe_77 wrote:

I try this procedure this evening. Did this "download" contain all the software who make install the first time i start my macbook ?

The OS X installer contains all the preinstalled apps. However, if you reinstall OS X without erasing the hard disk, all your applications will be kept.

Xtophe_77 wrote:

Last question, did i let a hard disk drive connected all the time to the mac when i use Time Machine? or just when he was connected, the backup start ?

See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

Time Machine will create an initial backup, and then, it will make hourly, incremental backups, always that your external drive is connected. If not, it won't make backups. It's up to you if you want to keep your external drive connected to your Mac to make hourly backups, connect it only when you want to make a backup, or just modify Time Machine settings with TimeMachineEditor to make backups whenever you want.

If you want more information about Time Machine, see this site > http://pondini.org

Restore Disk, reinstall disk ... help :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.