Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choppy HD video playback please help!

So,

I am trying to work on a music video project, downloaded the trial version of FCP X, and am importing 1080p AVCHD videos (60 fps). When editing the video, any time I playback it runs really choppy. I am running a 15" MBP, from 2010 I believe. It has the 2.66GHz dual core i7, 8GB DDR3 installed, and the 330M (512mb) graphics card. I mean, my computer knowlege tells me that this SHOULDNT be happening. I've run similar setups on older computers without issues with choppy video, so I'm looking for an answer. Also, whenever I just play the videos back (in like VLC or something) they play completely fine. Anyways, please help!!!

Steve

p.s. running 10.7.5 on OS X if that matters.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:40 PM

19 replies

Feb 19, 2013 3:27 PM in response to Zoomie86

60 Frames Per Second @ Optimized quality (ProRes 422)

This is not so little for a 5400 system drive... Do the math

Prores 422 = 145 Mpbs @ 60i -- you have 60p

In your case

300 Mega Bits Per Second (Divided) by the speed of your drive (Minus) all the stuff happening on the disk reducing your drive thruput like Virtual Memory etc etc etc etc etc...

According to my calculations, you are in for some serious choppyness ;-)

Create Proxy media (Easy in FCPx) of your files which will greatly improve performance.

Always -- KEEP YOUR MEDIA ON A DEDICATED SEPARATE DRIVE.. Preferable RAID0 or SSD via Thunderbolt ;-)

Feb 19, 2013 3:55 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yep, looks like doing the "transcode media" option helped..it's running smoothly from what I'm seeing. What does this do to the clip exactly? Also thanks for the help so far!
I do have an external HDD but only USB. My MBP obviously is too old for 3.0 OR Thunderbolt. But do you think 2.0 would still transfer faster from my external hdd than running this stuff off of my native hdd?

Feb 19, 2013 4:41 PM in response to Zoomie86

Zoomie86 wrote:

Also, whenever I just play the videos back (in like VLC or something) they play completely fine. Anyways, please help!!!

Steve

p.s. running 10.7.5 on OS X if that matters.

I have made a long thread about this problem,,,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4802490?tstart=90

Look.... That is the way FCPx is NOW... Will it get better. YES.. I believe so.

You problem is NOT just related to FCPx's Atomic Resource Consumption... But to "Raping" your system drive ;-)))

Convert your original stuff to proxies and you will be flying... Revert back to high quality Playback when rendering out final....

This will get you working and off this forum and off the bad mood ;-)

Nov 16, 2013 7:07 AM in response to Zoomie86

I put video from three different cameras into one project in FCPX.

The three cameras were set up on different recording rates (1080i at 30 and 1080i at 60 FPS). Apparently the software played them all back, after rendering, and translated them into that jumpy video.

I created a new project and added only video from one of my cameras which had been set up on 1080i at 30 FPS, and it was smooth and clean.

I did this to each camera, and when exported I will put them together from the .mov files.

Nov 16, 2013 7:15 AM in response to TNGWB

"1080i at 30 and 1080i at 60 FPS"

I'm sorry but what does this mean, or did you mistype? The convention is to write 1080i60, which is 29.97fps. There is no 1080i30, or do you mean 1080p30. This depends on the camera, many record with partial field over an interlaced recording. This can produce what's been called malignant PsF recordings, and really should be avoided. Only true progressive camera recordings should be used.

Choppy HD video playback please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.