You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Device Restore fails and uses all free diskspace.

I've been having some issues with iTunes restore since upgrading to iTunes 11.

I've done restores on my iPhone in the past with no issues. In the present with iTunes 11 upgraded and iOS6 on my iPhone i've encountered a restore problem that end-results to 'not having enough disk space' when the restore termiantes, iTunes fails to delete it's temporary files.

[Problem submitted to microsoft and flagged as malicious code/program bug] - This was it will give MS users a warning of a malicious code in iTunes that make take free disk space.

[Background]

PC Computer - MS Windows XP- Professional

120 GB Capacity harddrive

Current use exluding Apple products 60GB

Disk use including Apple products and backup 87 GB

Free space as indicated by Windows - 33GB Free

iPhone Device in question:

Model - 3GS - 16GB - Black

One backup listed on iTunes - checked no other backups exist

------------------------------------------------------------------

When the restore failed, free disk space went resulted in 2GB Free

re-attempted to restore, same result, which resulted in free disk space to 0 Bytes Free or full capacity usage.

*** Indicates that iTunes makes temporary files and doesn't remove these temporary files on their error handle.

No indication or support provided to aid in deleting temporary files other than erasing complete backup which defeats the purpose of a restore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to Apple Store to obtain support on iTunes, was advised to purchase a Apple external HD in order for the restore to function. (Which leads this to a poor business practice from Apple).

Was advised no other way would be possible unless I did so.

End result - Refused to purchase

---------------------------------------------

Response from Microsoft, they are developing a stage to embed in their Maclious Removal software to automatically delete Apple temporary files included in their 'Free disk space utility'

- Doesn't help the matter at the present, but at least Microsoft seems to be concerned of the matter to approve the complaint for Apple as Malicious code.

---------------------------------------------

Made a backup of the iTunes Backup on DVD and deleted MobileSync/backup folder

-Lost backup files, restored backup, now again at 33GB free from where I started

-Attempted to restore iPhone again, same result repeated above steps.

----------------------------------------------

Sent complaint to Consumer Protection (Government body that forces regulations in my jurisdiction) advising them of the bad faith practice from Apple wanting me to purchase an Apple External HD in order for my restore to work

Filed a BBB Complaint against Apple

Sent an inquiry to Apple with the following:

When attempting to restore my iPhone from a backup on the PC computer, I get an error message indicating the disk space has ran out. iTunes DOES NOT delete any temporary files and there is no indication on where these files are located.

I went into a Apple store but was advised to purchase a external hard-drive from Apple. I refuse to do this as that wasn't indicated in the agreement with Apple when I first purchased the product. Therefor I demand something be done about this, I need instructions on how to delete the temporary files to clear up some disk space on my PC caused by the failed iTunes restore and I need to be advised as to how much disk space will be required to perform a restore. If this cannot be done, I will have to enforce my rights to the agreement in a court of law which I will hold Apple responsible for court costs and any other costs to switch phone products, however, I can trust this will not be necessary.

Please give this matter your utmost attention.

(This complaint included in a BBB Complaint & Consumer Protection Branch at my local government office, filed Feb-19-2013). Please contact me for further details.

Sincerely,

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone knows why Apple iTunes needs more than 33GB to restore a 16GB phone or has a fix to this issue, let me know, it will save me from having to switch my phone to Samsung Galaxy and save me a court appearance.

Thank you

iPhone 3GS, Windows XP Pro, iOS 6 - iPhone

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 3:29 AM

Sadly Apple don't provide an official way to do this. I'm not entirely sure what it would take to reassure you, but this image shows that I'm using the method at to moment to relocate the backup data to a folder called D:\Backup\MobileSync\Backup. The arrow overlay on the Backup folder tells you that it is redirected, and the detailed listings below should make it clear that both contain the same content. The files are really on the D: drive, but appear to be where iTunes expects to find them on the C: drive. My most recent backup was a fortnight ago, and I successfully restored a redirected backup back in December.

User uploaded file

tt2

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2017 3:29 AM in response to AssafSoudry

Sadly Apple don't provide an official way to do this. I'm not entirely sure what it would take to reassure you, but this image shows that I'm using the method at to moment to relocate the backup data to a folder called D:\Backup\MobileSync\Backup. The arrow overlay on the Backup folder tells you that it is redirected, and the detailed listings below should make it clear that both contain the same content. The files are really on the D: drive, but appear to be where iTunes expects to find them on the C: drive. My most recent backup was a fortnight ago, and I successfully restored a redirected backup back in December.

User uploaded file

tt2

Feb 19, 2017 9:50 PM in response to timwhv

Hi Tim

You write "which you have to delete to restore your disk space"

How do you delete these failed restore files? They don't appear in the itunes backup list in Preferences>Devices

Can I just manually delete these from Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup?

Are you sure? Is that still ok today, on Windows 10, iTunes 12.5.5, iOs 10.2?

Any more progress on this issue 4 years on anyone?

I've spent several hours looking for info online and found very little help.

Only various versions of turingtest2's instructions below, which I am wary to follow because they are not official Apple guidelines.

----------------------

This issue is bloody frustrating!

There is no official Apple information on relocating the itunes backup directory

There is no official Apple information on how to manage these failed restore files

***??

BTW some dude here says "Backups that have a date and time stamp in the backup name are copies of backups created by restoring the iOS device." backups clogging drive

So we need to have space to also 'copy' the backup file?

What decade are apple living in?

Many thanks

Assaf

Feb 21, 2017 2:18 PM in response to AssafSoudry

I've just learnt a bit about what's happening with these files left over by a failed restore.

It seems that the first step in a restore is to create a duplicate/clone of the backup itself.

So it looks like there was not enough room to complete the creation of this clone; so the process failed and just left the half baked clone lying there clogging up the C drive.

I'm gobsmacked by this situation

and that it has been in existence for several years!!

There should be no need to commandeer additional precious disk space for the restore process.

It is unacceptable that in 2017 we are forced by a market leader to use our precious C drives for the backup and restore process (TT2's non official suggestion aside).

It is unacceptable that following the failure these files are not cleaned up.

It is unacceptable that this issue has been left unattended for several years.

Oct 10, 2017 3:28 AM in response to AssafSoudry

Wow - had this issue last night with IOS11.02 backup of iphone 6 64GB with latest version of itunes in Q4 of 2017!!

All I can say is bad programmers at Apple - firstly duplicating or perhaps extracting backups during restores and thus clogging up premium system disk space (in my case SSD) and when restore fails due to lack of space on the C:\ drive, you are left with dormant temp backup files in the AppData\Local\Temp\

I successfully restored once I freed up the same amount of disk space on my C:\ as the backup file size for my phone.

Crazy! Apple sort it out!

Dec 28, 2013 3:53 PM in response to Dayton416

The Temp Files were in my case at :MobileSync/backup

everytime the restore failes, itunes creates a folder named with the same name adding the crash date and time

in my case for the backup folder name "1d950ba8cfaab2fa172120ae6212c788ed9b07c"

itunes creates folder named: "1d950ba8cfaab2fa172120ae6212c788ed9b07c-20131229-004508"

which you have to delete to restore your disk space.

regards Tim

Nov 4, 2016 8:23 AM in response to timwhv

Amazingly this issue still exists 3 years on.

Its caused me all sorts of grief over the last couple of days, so thanks for helping with that!

Its definitely time that apple start to give user options as to where they store there backups, even if it is just saying where on a Hard Drive. This issue really is a disgrace, I filled up nearly 250GB of my HD with these failed back ups!

At least it forced me to clear out a load of duplicated pictures (space that was, at the time, then immediately taken by a failed back up!)

iTunes Device Restore fails and uses all free diskspace.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.