Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot capture HD from Sony HDR camcorders any more.

Running FCE 3.5 on OS 10.6.8, on a 2007 MBP. The operating system was upgraded last year, clean install, and I have been working with my already-captured footage with this system with no problems.

The first time I tried to capture new footage today, I got a message that "the video deck could not be initialized" but that I could use "capture now." If I click on "OK" I get screens I don't understand, and a message that "preview is disabled," so I haven't proceeded. I do not get the capture dialog screen I am familiar with, which allows me to name the captured files and initiate capture.

My camcorders are a Sony HDR/HC7 and HDR/HC9, and I tried the capture with both of them, also used different firewire cables and shut down everything and rebooted the Mac and FCE a couple of times. Have not trashed preferences. Always get the same message & subsequent screens. I have a suspicion that Snow Leopard does not recognize my Sonys, since the OS is the only new thing in the system.

I have a bootable Tiger clone with FCE installed, a printout of the whole online Help manual for FCE 3.5 and Tom Wolsky's FCE 3.5 book. Please advise what the best workaround would be to get my new stuff captured. Maybe I should be bolder about

Thanks,

Sharron Sussman

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:31 PM

Actually figured it out myself. Turns out my easy setup needed to be tuned up - I had the wrong Capture Preset, maybe a default setting, since FCE was reinstalled after Snow Leopard was installed. I chose the correct 1080i60 easy setup and bingo! Back to normal.

So do I get the points?

ss

2 replies

Cannot capture HD from Sony HDR camcorders any more.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.