Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canada income tax return - do i need to file?

Hi there,

I'm new to apple development and last year I made about $100 on a MacOS app. Can anyone point me in the right direction on if I might need to file an income tax return given the sales figures? I understand this is a developer forum and not a tax advisory forum, so any advice is appreciated, but I won't hold anyone to any advice given.

thanks!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 9:18 AM

You got two strikes against you here, one as you note this is a developer forum not a tax assist one and two you're Canadian so you tax laws are going to be different from the majority of users here.

Having said that in the States a value of $100 would not have to be reported separate from an individuals personal tax return. That is there would be no need to file a separate business return, However there may be tax advantages to doing so. If you report this as business income you may be able to take thinks the the cost of the computer, supplies, etc as deductions and save on your overall taxes. Each individual is different and again this applies to the States.

So the best thing you can do is consult a Canadian tax advisor to see what your obligations and options are.

regards

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2013 9:18 AM in response to xirtam

You got two strikes against you here, one as you note this is a developer forum not a tax assist one and two you're Canadian so you tax laws are going to be different from the majority of users here.

Having said that in the States a value of $100 would not have to be reported separate from an individuals personal tax return. That is there would be no need to file a separate business return, However there may be tax advantages to doing so. If you report this as business income you may be able to take thinks the the cost of the computer, supplies, etc as deductions and save on your overall taxes. Each individual is different and again this applies to the States.

So the best thing you can do is consult a Canadian tax advisor to see what your obligations and options are.

regards

Canada income tax return - do i need to file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.