Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort Images by average luminance -- possible? Hints?

Another edition of "Not that I know of". :-)

Is there any way to sort Images in Aperture by average luminance?

Is there any way to determine the average luminance and save this to a custom metadata field?

Bonus: hue?

NB: using the Preview to determine average luminance or hue is OK by me 🙂 .

Thanks in advance.

--Kirby.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, 16 GB RAM; 500 GB SSD; NEC; Munki

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:57 PM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2014 7:35 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Looks like with the current tools in Aperture there is no way to do this. You might want to look and see if there is any third party apps but I'm not hopeful.

In order to do this you need access to each pixek in the image (or in the sction of the image you are interested in) and I don;t see anyway to get that low level of interaction as things are. An edit plugin would probably be able to do this but given the current sate of Aperture there isn't much chance of that getting written 😟

One of the new systems strengths is reported to be the ability to write extensions for the core image engine more easily then the current state of writing a plugin for Aperture. Perhaps something will get written then.

regards

Jul 10, 2014 8:06 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Looks like with the current tools in Aperture there is no way to do this. You might want to look and see if there is any third party apps but I'm not hopeful.

I haven't found anything. There is the app I mentioned in the similar thread in the OS X Dev forum: CF/X Photo Mosaic. It (surprisingly quickly!) creates a database of the images that will be used as tesserae in the making of photo mosaic, and allows the user to sort the image database by average color or average luminance. I've asked their input. There is no way to export the database, or — afaict — to use any of the information outside the program itself.

Here's a screengrab from the manual showing images in the Photo Mosaic database with each image's average hue and average luminance displayed as a sample tile and a hex ordinal. The luminance scale is 1 to 256 (in hex). I'm not sure what the hue scale is (I guess it's 16 million).

User uploaded file

Frank Caggiano wrote:

😟 One of the new systems strengths is reported to be the ability to write extensions for the core image engine more easily then the current state of writing a plugin for Aperture. Perhaps something will get written then.

We'll see. I am holding my breath.

Not 😢 .

Sort Images by average luminance -- possible? Hints?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.