Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup ideas

Hey guys. I'm thinking it's time for me to get my own work setup so I can get myself organized to kick off my programming career. Im goin off to college this next fall, but it's only 20 minutes from my house. As of now, all i've got hardware-wise is a 2009 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and an HP monitor i use as an extra screen. I can't decide whether I should go out and get an iMac so that I could have a permanent setup at my house along with my portable setup with my laptop. Or if I should get a new Macbook Pro and continue along with my one computer setup. I'd love to hear some good ideas from other developers and see what you guys can think of. Thanks!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 9:07 AM

This is really a personal decision either of the two setups will work for developing. One is not better than the other, its all how you want to work.

One thing you should do is upgrade to 10.8 so that you;ll get the latest version of Xcode. While you can learn the basics with an older version things have changed and there is no sense in getting use to doing things one way only to have to relearn parts of the system later on.

good luck

regards

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2013 9:07 AM in response to trludt

This is really a personal decision either of the two setups will work for developing. One is not better than the other, its all how you want to work.

One thing you should do is upgrade to 10.8 so that you;ll get the latest version of Xcode. While you can learn the basics with an older version things have changed and there is no sense in getting use to doing things one way only to have to relearn parts of the system later on.

good luck

regards

Setup ideas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.