Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Roaming Network Setup Problems

Hi - I'm having very mixed performacne on my roaming network - in a nutshell - when connected to the primary network device I get excellent connectivity - when connected to any other device and I get 1/10 - 1/30th of the performance (download/upload as measured by speedtest)

I have a roaming network setup:

1. Dumb cable modem (TWC)
  2. Airport Extreme as netowrk (set to channels 5 & 161)
  3. Apple 2GB TC connected (to Extreme) via ethernet creating identical network in Bridge mode (set to channels 5 & 161)
  4. Airport Express connected (to Time capsue) via ethernet creating identical network in Bridge mode (set to channels 5 & 161)
  5. Airport Express joining network via ethernet for airplay only
  6. Airport Express joining network wirelessly for airplay only

All ethernet cables have been checked via direct connection to modem for excellent up and down.

I'm running Airport Utility 6.2

Firmware for all devices is up to date

All devices are the latest models with the exception of one express joining wirelessly for airplay only

I get excellent up and down:

• connected directly to cable modem
  • connected via ethernet to Extreme
  • Connected wirelessly to extreme

Problem: I get either excellent up, terrible down or okay down and exclelent up when connected to the ATC or the Express. I believe it is a network problem since I've isolated each component and gotten excellent results when I setup a standalone network.

What I've tried:

1. I've switched the Extreme with the ATC. get the same problem when one is down the chain in teh roaming network
  2. I've checked channel strength and congestion (both do not seem to be an issue)
  3. Devices are over 60ft apart and I think I've ruled out network interference moving the primary network from spot to spot
  4. I've moved the Extreme to each location in the house connected to the cable modem - exclellent up and down in each location
  5. I've hard reset everything time and time again - building the network from teh ground up repeatedly - still gettting poor performance from devices not connected directly to the cable modem

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Airport Extreme, TC, Express-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core i7

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:17 PM

4 replies

Feb 20, 2013 7:52 AM in response to eoldfield

Apple 2GB TC connected (to Extreme) via ethernet creating identical network in Bridge mode (set to channels 5 & 161)

Not correct in a roaming network. You want channels on one router separated by at least 4-5 settings on the 2.4 GHz band and at least another channel on the 5 GHz band.

For example, try the TC set at Channel 11 for 2.4 GHz, and at 157 or 149 on the 5 GHz band

Airport Express connected (to Time capsue) via ethernet creating identical network in Bridge mode (set to channels 5 & 161)

Same problem.

Try Channel 1 or 2 on 2.4 GHz and another 5 GHz channel that is not being used on another router.

Things would be a whole lot simpler if you set each AirPort up to use Automatic channels, but some users swear by setting channels manually.

Double check to make sure that the TC and AirPort Express really are in Bridge Mode

Power cycle the entire network by powering everything off for a few minutes. Start the modem first and let it run a few minutes. Start the Airport Extreme next and let it run a few minutes. Start the TC next the same way, etc. Keep starting things one at a time the same way until the network is back up.

No guarantess, but you will now at least have the channels set correctly for a roaming network..and you will have verified that the TC and AirPort Express are in Bridge Mode, as they should be.

Feb 20, 2013 8:29 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob - I'll try these - so I understand - 5 on 2.4 GHz and 161 on 5Ghz do not work why? Would 2 on 2.4 GHz and 157 on 5GHz work?

On your makeing sure they're on bridge mode. I think you might be onto the problem there. I tried going in and manually updating each of the routers to ensure they were configured correctly and got v. good results late last ngiht, but when I work up, it was slow again. I'll try changing the channels and updating each device again today - then do a full system reboot as suggested and let you know if that works.

thanks again!

Feb 20, 2013 10:11 AM in response to eoldfield

You never want routers using the same channels in a roaming network.

On 2.4 GHz, channels on each router need to be separated by at least 4-5 channels and at least one channel on 5 GHz.

That is a fundamental networking rule for roaming networks to avoid wireless interference.

Why not try setting each router to Automatic channel selection? Then, you don't have to worry about any of the channel stuff at all unless you have a bunch of other networks around you.

Be sure to check again that the TC and AirPort Expess are in Bridge Mode as the last step before you click the Update button on both the TC and AX.

No shortcuts allowed on the full power cycle of the network. 😉

Airport Roaming Network Setup Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.