Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install a time machine backup after creating a fusiondrive via terminal?

Hi!

I have a Macbook Pro early 2011 with ssd and hdd. I would like to have a Fusiondrive and found a way to create it in the terminal. Do I have to reinstall Lion again or can I use my latest backup which I made from ssd and hdd? there are no further partitions except bootcamp.
Greetings!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), second sata in use

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:04 PM

You should reinstall OS X and then, restore the Time Machine backup using Setup Assistant. That's because Fusion Drive is created by software, and if you restore the whole Time Machine backup, you will disable Fusion Drive.

Note that you have to reinstall OS X erasing the OS X volume, and then, reinstall it as a clean install. Then, when the installation finishes, Setup Assistant will ask you to restore a backup, so do it

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2013 11:04 PM in response to OvertoneNr13

You should reinstall OS X and then, restore the Time Machine backup using Setup Assistant. That's because Fusion Drive is created by software, and if you restore the whole Time Machine backup, you will disable Fusion Drive.

Note that you have to reinstall OS X erasing the OS X volume, and then, reinstall it as a clean install. Then, when the installation finishes, Setup Assistant will ask you to restore a backup, so do it

Can I install a time machine backup after creating a fusiondrive via terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.