Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View NEF thumbnails taken with Nikon D600 on my iMac without buying Aperture?

How on Earth can I view NEF/RAW thumbnails taken with Nikon D600 without buying Aperture. My others cameras work fine, I can vuew both my JPEG and NEF now no such luck.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:37 AM

14 replies

Feb 20, 2013 3:36 AM in response to DavePortraits

Didn't the Nikon D600 come with a Mac version of their NEF viewer and, minor, editing program? That should have no problems viewing NEF files.

Or you could get the Adobe DNG converter program and convert those NEFs to DNG files that most image programs can read.

Or Get Adobe Lightroom 4 instead of Apple Aperture.

Simple, do a Google search for a NEF viewer. I'm sure there are quite a few.

Feb 20, 2013 4:47 AM in response to Shootist007

I have Photoshop CS6 and yeah if I open that I can see thumbnail views. I would like to be able to see the pictures without having to open one or more programs to do so. There are times I am looking for specific pictures that either I want to work on or to send out. Shots I do with other cameras can can be viewed just by opening my Finder say for viewing a folder's content, NEF files from D90 and D3 can be viewed in Finder, my D600 can't. I was looking and to get the update that would let me do that.

Feb 20, 2013 5:53 AM in response to DavePortraits

That is because you other cameras are either shooting RAW+JPG or OS X has the RAW viewer for those built in.

Nikon NEFs are Proprietary and Nikon refuses to release the Real decoding system for it. It has been like that for years. Even Adobe doesn't have it and the only reason Lightroom, Bridge, ACR and PS can read those files is from Adobe Reverse Engineering the file format to some degree.

If you look at the discs that came with your camera, or on the Nikon website, there should be a viewer program which "MAY" also install a system for Preview to view those NEFs. But that is just speculation.

Not sure since you khave PSD CS6 your not using Bridge for all photo viewing. Right it's not Finder but hey you kgot to make do with what you have.

Other then that start shooting RAW (NEF) + JPGs with the D600. I know it can.

Feb 20, 2013 6:08 AM in response to Shootist007

Shootist, I wasn't shooting NEF+Jpeg, it is simply that I can't get the updated CODEC without purchasing Aperture, once I purchase then can get CODECS that used to be free. I am looking for a fix for that. Not more prograpms. I just want to be able to do what I can with the older cameras. Pretty much what happened is the same thing that Adobe has been doing to make you upgrade, they stop including CODECS and you then have to get the newer verson. As in RAW files for D600 will not open with CS5, I had to purchace CS6.

Feb 20, 2013 6:28 AM in response to DavePortraits

Oh I see Apple has you over a barrel as the only way to get the NEF decoder is to buy Aperture.

Well then I really do suggest you get the Adobe DNG converter as it is free and will convert any RAW format to DNG (Digital Negative) that is an Open standard.

I'm at CS5 myself and more then likely not be going any further. I will be upgrading Lightroom though as al long as some Adobe product can read newer camera formats I can then Send to (Open with) CS5. Or be converting them to DNG.''

You are between a Rock and a Hard place.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Feb 20, 2013 6:47 AM in response to seroposi

Yes you and I have both missed the point. The OP want to be able to open a Finder Window, Browse to his Image folder/s and View those NEF files in Finder without having to open and or use any other program. Then from there open images in PS CS# to work on them.

Personally for me on both Mac and PC I use either Bridge or Lightroom to Browse my image files bypassing both Win Explorer or Mac Finder for this type of thing. For me having a Win Explorer or Mac Finder Window open is the same as having a Real Photo Viewing window open. It's not like I always have a Finder or Win Explorer window open on my desktop 100% of the time. So instead of opening one of those File Manager windows I just open Bridge or Lightroom.

But I guess for some using, having open, a Finder window all the time is just the way they work.

seroposi wrote:

Unsure if I'm missing the point but could you not open in Nikon View NX2 and then work in CS. It will also do a batch convert to jpg. Upload using Nikon Transfer and then opens automatically in View NX2.

Alterntively,I think one can upload and view thumbnails in Bridge/ mini Bridge that will open in Photoshop.

Feb 20, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Shootist007

I can handle the editing part, but to have to open one program so I can locate a certain picture so I can then go back to finder so I can then copy it and then send that image out is a pain. I deal in thousands of pictures in a day some times. Such as today I have to work through 4000 images. Of those RAW files from a D600 I may be trying to see only for email. Ok, I can put in ViewNX, convert to a JPEG, I will still later be using some of those in PS and will need to send RAW files out. It's just irratating that to get the decoder for my OS to view my pictures I have to now buy a program to get an OS update! All because I want to open a folder and see what is in it withough having to start up and run several other programs to do the job my OS does with all of my other cameras.

Feb 20, 2013 9:50 AM in response to DavePortraits

Understand the issue now and came across this thread which I accept may not solve your problem:Apple Raw update brings support for 11 cameras, including D600 and RX100: Digital Photography Review

Although I could open images (D300) in Finder/Preview my issue was I could'nt seem to be able to scroll through the folder so got into the habit of using View NX2. Although that has an email option it does'nt seem to want to email Nefs' due I imagine to file size though I think there are email 'handlers' that will accomodate such file sizes.

According to this thread, Raw support for the D600 is available via the Apps Store but no app info was mentioned: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4355881?start=0&tstart=0

All else failing, I defer to Shootist's comments which seem to concur with those in the last thread mentioned.

Also came across this thread:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57539833-37/apple-adds-raw-support-for-nikon-d 600-other-photokina-models/

Sorry I have not been able to have been of much help

Feb 20, 2013 10:36 AM in response to DavePortraits

If you are using Bridge you can Copy and Paste from that program to ANY folder you like. There is NO Need to go back to Finder to do that.

Bridge is a Image File Manager that can do all what you want along with sending images to PS or any image editing program you have installed. Just right click on the image and select Copy to then choose/select "Choose Folder". Once you do that one time that folder will be in the list so it will always be available without selecting "Choose Folder".

View NEF thumbnails taken with Nikon D600 on my iMac without buying Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.