Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Macbook for sale

I'm selling my Macbook and restoring it to factory defaults - if I reinstall mountain lion with a bootable USB will the buyer be able to purchase the licence for it in the setup process (presumably when they are unable to provide my Apple ID login details)? It came with Lion but i upgraded it through the up to date program.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:38 AM

Did you Mac come from the factory with Mt Lion Pre-Installed? If not you can not sell it with Mt Lion. you have to reinstall the original version of OS X that it came with from the factory.

All other download versions of OS X are Tied to Your Apple ID and are Non Transferable.

Doesn't matter how you upgraded it to Mt Lion it is still an Upgrade and tied to your Apple ID. You Must Re-Install Lion and sell it that way.

To reinstall Lion you use the Online Internet Recovery system. to get to that at startup you HOLD DOWN the Command+Option+r key until you see a Spinning Globe in the center of the screen. From the screen that loads you use Disk Utility to Re-Partition the drive as One Partition. That is Very important, you must Re-Partition to get rid of the Mt Lion Recovery HD partition.

Then when that is done exit DU and Select Reinstall Mac OS X and Lion will be downloaded and install on the drive. At first startup after Lion has finished installing just hold down the power button until the system turns off. When the buyer turns it on for the first time it will be like it has been turned on for the very first time, going through all the setup screen just like it was New.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2013 2:38 AM in response to Roganjosh01

Did you Mac come from the factory with Mt Lion Pre-Installed? If not you can not sell it with Mt Lion. you have to reinstall the original version of OS X that it came with from the factory.

All other download versions of OS X are Tied to Your Apple ID and are Non Transferable.

Doesn't matter how you upgraded it to Mt Lion it is still an Upgrade and tied to your Apple ID. You Must Re-Install Lion and sell it that way.

To reinstall Lion you use the Online Internet Recovery system. to get to that at startup you HOLD DOWN the Command+Option+r key until you see a Spinning Globe in the center of the screen. From the screen that loads you use Disk Utility to Re-Partition the drive as One Partition. That is Very important, you must Re-Partition to get rid of the Mt Lion Recovery HD partition.

Then when that is done exit DU and Select Reinstall Mac OS X and Lion will be downloaded and install on the drive. At first startup after Lion has finished installing just hold down the power button until the system turns off. When the buyer turns it on for the first time it will be like it has been turned on for the very first time, going through all the setup screen just like it was New.

Restoring Macbook for sale

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.