Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple phone support cost me something?

I know that this sounds ridiculous, but is it true that if I call Apple phone support, it will cost me something? I heard that you only have 90 days of phone support. I have an issue with my iMac and that's why I wanted to call them.

I read that in the US it costs $29, then somewhere else I read it costs $49 per call.

I'm located in Europe, and I've called them several times, also after 90 days (after a year to be precise, I had an issue with my iPhone), and I don't remember having paid anything.

Please someone from Europe tell me that we don't have to pay anything, I hope this is a US-only thing and not a global rule they've set up. Otherwise there's no chance I'm calling them. Seriously, what a bunch of clowns...

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:41 AM

7 replies

Feb 20, 2013 6:46 AM in response to Anon M

That is correct. Phone support is granted for the first 90 days for free. After that, it is a paid service. In the US, a single phone agreement is $19.00.

Whether you need to pay for support, depends on what the issue is. If you are asking a general question that only requires a quick answer, they likely won't charge you.

If you are trying to purchase something, then again, they won't charge you.

If however you have an issue that requires troubleshooting, then they will. Often times these types of issues, are "user caused", and it is unknown to Apple what was done to cause the issue, so you are paying for them to look at what has occured and investigate it.

Feb 20, 2013 6:51 AM in response to KarenSelena

That's crazy. I still hope and believe this is US-only, when I called them for my iPhone issue, I didn't pay anything even though it was apparently my mistake because liquids came inside the phone. Heck, they even sent me a new one and I didn't pay a cent.

When was this "rule" put in place? Was it less than a year ago?

Feb 20, 2013 6:57 AM in response to Anon M

Anon M wrote:

That's crazy. I still hope and believe this is US-only, when I called them for my iPhone issue, I didn't pay anything even though it was apparently my mistake because liquids came inside the phone. Heck, they even sent me a new one and I didn't pay a cent.

When was this "rule" put in place? Was it less than a year ago?

No. Phone support has for years been free for the first 90 days only, and that applies to all countries.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/complimentary/

Only if you purchase an AppleCare plan does your free phone support get extended. If, however, the problem turns out to be one that is covered by the Mac's warranty, you normally will not be charged.

How or why they didn't charge your for the call for the iPhone I can't say, but that is not the normal policy for phone support.

Regards.

Will Apple phone support cost me something?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.