Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac had a corrupt seagate HD that had to be replaced my imovie files & itunes video library are missing when I picked up my Mac from Apple?

I purchased my 27" iMac in October 2010 after attending classes we discovered my computer needed new graphics card, hard drive, and a total rebuild after owning it only 6 months. Apple rebuilt my new computer, several months later same issues began yet again, slowly Apple began replacing defective parts they installed, my computer still hasn't worked as it should and has been in and out of Apple all the time sometimes they keep it for weeks! running tests?? 😕 February 10, 2013 I took my imac back in because it has been taking upwards of 6 minutes to make 1 single edit in imovie after 6 days of editing my project I could No Longer save in itunes, external HD, or export my imovie videos (they are 4 min up to 20 min max) Apple informed me that my Hard Drive was corrupt a bad batch of Seagate HD had been installed and my computer was again affected by this and it needed to be replaced and they couldn't get it to respond at all my itunes library was missing, etc. We saved my videos on my external HD I brought in with me. The Genius bar said they would call me in 3-5 days for me to pick up my computer. 9 Days later not hearing back from them I went in to get an update February 19, 2013 No one can tell me what was done except my HD was replaced they can't answer my questions about my itunes library being reinstated or my videos, music is missing, podcasts, etc. I was even using icloud, empty?😕 They tell me IF I find anything wrong or not working again to just bring it back. My iMovie videos ALL the edits are missing ? 😮 I can't find ANY of my videos in my itunes my Library is empty as it is in imovie except for 2 videos? HELP! I can't imagine having to re-edit my entire video with sound effects, fronts, graphics, etc. I spent weeks on this :-( I'm at my wits end with my iMac....⚠ 😢 I have searched in my previous itunes library EMPTY ! Waaaah! I want my mommy....😢

iMac, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 6:52 AM

1 reply

Feb 20, 2013 7:08 AM in response to trina279

The Apple Store is not responsible for data loss and generally does not do any backups of your data before performing any repairs, though in some cases, as seems to be the case in yours, they guide you to making your own backup. Here's what they say on the "getting service page" (when I've taken a system in for service a similar statement was presented to me when I agreed to the service):

Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data. Please make sure you back up your data on a regular basis to minimize your data loss. Learn more about backup options. Apple and Apple Authorized Service Providers are not responsible for any damage to or loss of any applications, data, or other information stored on your Mac desktop while performing service.

Since you say that you backed up your videos before the drive was replaced, why can you not just restore them? And did you not back up anything else?

If you didn't make any sort of backup of your other data prior to taking the iMac in for service, then sorry but your data is almost certainly gone. Regular reliable backups are a must, particularly when dealing with content you spend a lot of time creating. You may be able to re-download any content you purchased from the iTunes Store or Mac App Store, but anything else you'll have to recreate or re-obtain from the original source.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

My iMac had a corrupt seagate HD that had to be replaced my imovie files & itunes video library are missing when I picked up my Mac from Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.