Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie and Avid Doesn't Recognize Canon hv40

Hi there,

I'm not an Apple Genius, but I'm fairly comfortable with macs and using them with camcorders, but this has me stumped.

I own an iMac ( 27-inch, Late 2009 model, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5) with 4GB of memory.

I am running Lion 10.7.5

I recently bought a CANON VIXIA HV40 camcorder. It's one of the few consumer camcorders left that still record and play miniDV tape.

However, I can not get the CANON and the IMAC to communicate via FireWire or USB (From the research I've done, stills can be imported using USB, but I believe FireWire is needed for miniDV tape transfer on this unit). I've tried opening iMovie 09 and then connecting the camcorder via FireWire, no luck. Tried it using Avid as well. Again, no luck. I tried using USB with both programs, and still no sign of any communication between camcorder and iMac.

I had read something about HDV vs DV mode. I tried both modes, and no luck.

Before this I had a Sony TRV20 which worked perfectly. As soon as the unit was on in CAMERA mode and connected, I had full control and capture capabilities.

I thought maybe the camera was the issue and returned it for another unit. But I have the same issue with the new unit.

Can anyone offer me any insight? It's frustrating that my Sony camcorder connected effortlessly, but the Canon is giving me such trouble.

Thank you for whatever suggestions you can offer!

David

iMac 27-inch quad core

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:05 PM

6 replies

May 31, 2013 10:07 PM in response to daveinlaca

Just before you got the Canon, did you recently upgrade to OS X Lion 10.7.5 from an earlier version? If you did, that might be your problem. The 10.7.5 has caused my Canon XH A1s, and a Canon HV20 to be incompatible with my i-mac. I'm pretty upset about it.

Version 10.7.4 and earlier versions of Lion 10.7 worked fine. Read this link

http://www.digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/1075

Jun 3, 2013 5:19 AM in response to sabatica

Hi sabatica,

Not sure if you are aware of this, but all the cameras mentioned in this thread are tape based (either DV or HDV, or both) which use miniDV tape.

The links you kindly provided list only those camera models that do not use tape (that is, tapeless).

In each of the articles, there is a separate paragraph (or dot point) regarding tape based camcorders.

Below I've copied and pasted the relevant section from each of the articles:

"iMovie '09 works with most Mini DV tape-based camcorders that use a FireWire cable (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) to transfer data. iMovie works with DV (standard definition) or HDV (high definition) formats"

"iMovie ’11 works with most Mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats, which use a FireWire cable (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) to transfer video"

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

iMovie and Avid Doesn't Recognize Canon hv40

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.