Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bind 10.8 iMac to 10.5 Open Directory

I can bind 10.8 iMac to 10.5 OD but it doesn't give me the network users login screen after reboot. Once I connect from: Accounts, Login Options, Network Account Server, I connect to the OD but it never ask for an admin password to bind. Therefore it partial binds. Un-bind, reboot, bind. Same thing. I think it might be the network connection.

Anyone else has success with binding 10.8.2 iMac to a 10.5 OD server?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5), Bind 10.8.2 iMac to 10.5 server OD

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:50 PM

Hello James - I haven't tried it with 10.5 servers. I can tell you it works with 10.6 server, but where installed I use NFS shares for homes for those with 10.7/10.8 workstations to avoid problems with Apple Mail client. Seems like it should work, as 10.5 and 10.6 server are similar. Anything interesting in the OD log on the server?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2013 7:50 PM in response to James Walnut

Hello James - I haven't tried it with 10.5 servers. I can tell you it works with 10.6 server, but where installed I use NFS shares for homes for those with 10.7/10.8 workstations to avoid problems with Apple Mail client. Seems like it should work, as 10.5 and 10.6 server are similar. Anything interesting in the OD log on the server?

Feb 21, 2013 11:06 AM in response to Don Roedl

Don, I kept checking the settings, removing the Directory Service and rebooting and bind again. I ended up creating another local user so the list of users would show up at the login screen as admin and another user. I even created a group. Unchecked allow network users to login, and renable it, selected user from the list (it was seeing the OD users and groups) then I rebooted, and as I waited at the login screen, "Other showed up after a minute and I could login as a OD user. Very odd. Rebooted again and it still took a minute for "Other" to show up but it works.

Thanks for your help!

James

Feb 22, 2013 10:52 AM in response to Don Roedl

Don,

The 10.8 Integration instructions shows that once it binds, it should give you the "other" next to the admin login. I never saw it. So I kept trying different setups or login's. Usually, the login screen will have the security disclaimer with our logo, but with 10.7 Mac, the disclaimer was there, but the login screen was different but I can fix that. 10.8 Mac never showed the disclaimer, it only showed "Other" after a few minutes.

With the Workgroup Manager, once the 10.8 was binded, I could say allow network users to login or select a group or individual users. But at the login screen the only thing that showed up was the admin account.

Still trying to figure out the reason. Maybe update the server to 10.6 and see if that helps.

Feb 22, 2013 11:01 AM in response to James Walnut

I see. Well its probably an elementary question on my part, but since I cannot see your setup, it would help for me to know what you are doing to manage the appearnance of the login window. Sometimes I learn new things here.

Are you making workstation entries in Workgroup Manager to manage workstation prefs? Have you made an entry of this 10.8 Workstation name, short name, and ethernet ID in a computer list in WGM and then added it to a computer list to set the login window pref?

Feb 25, 2013 9:56 AM in response to James Walnut

James - Glad to help if I can. Interesting that there is some latency while trying to connect to the server/network and get the directory information. It would be interesting to see what conversation the workstation is having with the server/network during this latent period before the login window appears. Are you using DHCP? Can you find anything relevant in Console during the disconect/connection time?

Bind 10.8 iMac to 10.5 Open Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.