Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of Raw files imported into iPhoto

I have imported some raw files into iPhoto but I cannot locate them in finder. I want to import them into another machine. I can find all other photos but nothing recently

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:12 PM

Export them out of iPhoto via the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu with the option Kind = Original.

OT

9 replies

Feb 21, 2013 6:13 AM in response to Old Toad

OT

Have successfully managed to get files into the new machine, so thanks for you help on that. However still cannot find the actual files in Finder. "Pictures" files seems to be limited to the non RAW photos and despite carrying out a search on file names etc Finder does not seem to recognise the files. Can you offer any advise on why that is?

Feb 21, 2013 6:21 AM in response to Uncle spud

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Feb 21, 2013 6:40 AM in response to Yer_Man

I do not have access to the machine at the moment however I am not aware that I have changed any settings so am 95% certain they ought to be going by default to Iphotos library.

Last night I found the file name in iphoto for one of the raw photos and did an all files search in fijnder on the whole mac and got no results found. they are clearly on the machine as I can see them in iphoto but finder does not seem to recognise them.

Feb 21, 2013 7:59 AM in response to Uncle spud

If they are stored within the Library package then the Finder search does not look for them within that set up. That is normal. The point of apps like iPhoto is that they replace the Finder when it comes to your Photos. You simply never access them with it. That's what a Manager is for, Finder is a File Manger, iPhoto is a Photo Manager, Contacts is an Address Manager and so on.

Location of Raw files imported into iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.