Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight light always on, camera not working

Last night I was using Photo Booth and after I closed it the green light didn't turn off. It has remained on ever since. Now when I open Photo Booth it says "There is no camera connected." The camera isn't recognized on iChat, Skype and iMovie either. The green light only turns off when I shut down, but it turns right back on as soon as I power back up. I've tried everything; resetting the SMC and PRAM. Also tried Repair Permissions. Still nothing. Nothing shows up under the USB tree either.

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro.

Is this a hardware problem that will require a professional to fix? How much will that cost?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 3:04 PM

thismightbezach wrote: ..Is this a hardware problem that will require a professional to fix?..

Based on the symptoms you describe, it seem to me.

If Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 suggestions do not help you, (be certain that you use the correct "reset" procedure for your specific Mac model), yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix. Unless you have a current backup, make one now. Then use Apple's final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

thismightbezach wrote: ... How much will that cost?

The AASP can give you an estimate after he checks out your Mac. There may be a charge for this if your Mac is not still covered by AppleCare or other warranty.

It is entirely reasonable for you to ask for a repair cost estimate before repairs begin so you can decide whether it is cost effective to you to have any needed work done.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2013 3:04 PM in response to thismightbezach

thismightbezach wrote: ..Is this a hardware problem that will require a professional to fix?..

Based on the symptoms you describe, it seem to me.

If Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 suggestions do not help you, (be certain that you use the correct "reset" procedure for your specific Mac model), yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix. Unless you have a current backup, make one now. Then use Apple's final "Troubleshooting" suggestion:

"... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service."

thismightbezach wrote: ... How much will that cost?

The AASP can give you an estimate after he checks out your Mac. There may be a charge for this if your Mac is not still covered by AppleCare or other warranty.

It is entirely reasonable for you to ask for a repair cost estimate before repairs begin so you can decide whether it is cost effective to you to have any needed work done.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.2

iSight light always on, camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.