Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java 2013-001 1.0 update for Java 6?

I already have Java 7 Update 15 - why is there an update for Java 6? Do I need this Apple update? This is getting very confusing.

Thanks for any input...

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:17 PM

If you are talking about the Java update published yesterday, no, you don't need it.

I understand it was meant only for Snow Leopard. But I agree, it gets more confusing by the day.

Message was edited by: seventy one

9 replies

Feb 20, 2013 6:02 PM in response to carvermon

There are now two Java runtimes: Oracle's and Apple's. They do different things. Oracle's runtime is a web plugin. It handles Java content on web pages. Apple's runtime is a set of OS X frameworks. It handles standalone Java applications. Eventually Apple's runtime will disappear, and developers who want to build Java applications will have to embed yet another runtime from Oracle.

Feb 25, 2013 2:32 PM in response to carvermon

Like carvermon, I thought that Apple sent update notices based on my current OS, apps, etc. A few days ago I downloaded this java update as well as the recent firmware update (SMC Firmware Update 1.7). I don't know whether it was the Java update or the firmware update, but my less-than-year-old Pro has been acting really strange ever since. The computer locks up regularly. Three times it's asked whther I want the HD or Recovery when turning on the machine. The Skydrive folder isn't updating properly.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Java 2013-001 1.0 update for Java 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.