Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did Boot Camp/Windows 8 destroy my SSD?

I had set up a ~34 GB Windows 8 bootcamp partition on my 3-month-old refurb mid-2012 Macbook Air (4/128/13"). Three days later, Windows was idling when it just crashed out of nowhere, attempted to repair itself and restarted. Upon restart, I got the blinking question mark folder -- the SSD wasn't mounting. The genius bar later confirmed the SSD was shot. As it is impossible to mount, we can't really speculate on the cause.

I had unwisely filled up the Win8 partition until 2 or 3 GB remained the night before. My best guess is that this is somehow related?

My question is: has anyone heard of anything similar happening? Will this happen again if I install Windows 8 on my new SSD? Or was this SSD just a defective ticking time bomb? (It was a refurb).

BTW, in case this happens to anyone else, thankfully I had a recent Time Machine backup. I booted over wifi and restored it to an external USB 3 SSD drive. The MBA won't reliably boot from it over USB 3 for some reason, but it works great over USB 2. I haven't noticed any slowdown for my light usage.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Windows 8

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:18 PM

There are no replies.

Did Boot Camp/Windows 8 destroy my SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.