Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not contact the iPhone software update server because you are not connected to the internet...???

Ok I’m completely lost here....

I’m running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600), I updated iTunes to 11.0.2.25 and some other updates for windows last night on my laptop. I try connecting to download the iOS 6.1.2 update for my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 5 via iTunes. I am getting this message for both "iTunes could not contact the iPhone software update server because you are not connected to the internet. Make sure your internet connection is active and try again." Everything was fine with connecting prior to running these updates because I downloaded the 6.1 update with no problems when it came out.

What I have done so far with which has made no difference:

• Checked my internet connection
  • Changed my internet connection
  • Signed out of iTunes and then signed back in
  • Ran diagnostics via iTunes, comes back with: Network interfaces verified- Internet connection failed- Secure link to iTunes store verified

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.

Connection attempt to browsing iTunes Store was successful.

Connection attempt to purchasing from iTunes Store was successful.

Connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.

Connection attempt to firmware update server was successful.

Connection attempt to Gracenote server was successful.

Last successful iTunes Store access was 2013-02-20 20:40:48.

• Disabled firewall, spy sweeper, virus scanner
  • start>run>cmd> typed "netsh winsock reset"
  • Rebooted
  • Checked the parental controls in iTunes
  • Start>control panel>internet options>connections tab> lan settings> selected the "automatically detect settings"
  • Deleted iTunes and reinstalled iTunes

When I would "ping gs.apple.com" it would come back with "request timed out" no matter what internet connection I was on, so I went into the hosts file start>my computer>(C:)>WINDOWS>system32>drivers>ect>HOSTS and added "# 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com". Now it will ping gs.apple.com just fine but still comes up with the "iTunes could not contact the iPhone software update server because you are not connected to the internet" message in iTunes when i try to download the update.

If anyone can come up with any ideas that I haven’t tried, please let me know. This is keeping me back from updating both of my phones along with if anything should ever happen to them; restores as well. 😟

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:13 PM

There are no replies.

iTunes could not contact the iPhone software update server because you are not connected to the internet...???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.