Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the I Pad 2 a good fit for an aging father?

My father will be 88 in August and wants to purchase an IPad 2. He is easily confused and will only use it with WiFi, Facetime and accessing websites or email. His sight is not the great. The mini IPad would not work. Is this technology a vialbe option or should he stick to his laptop and desktop? He won't use all the bells and whistles, but he absolutely loves to see his sons, granddaughters and daughters-in-law on Facebook.

I'm thinking the I Pad 2 without retina display is the most cost effective way to approach this issue. Does the basix I Pad 2 cover all of his basis needs?

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:10 PM

Rather than guess or assume, It might be best to let him try one at a store. Apple retail, best buy, walmart and many others will have them for sale.

3 replies

Feb 21, 2013 4:27 AM in response to Clark Ward

If the ipad mini is not an option, the ipad 2 can be had for $399. new, and currently $319 for a refurbished one. There are less expensive options out there, and other video communication apps.

Both of those options will come with 90 days of phone support so he could get help over the phone with apple care tecnicians.

If he lives near an apple retail store, they often have workshops and classes he could sign up for.

Look in the local paper for computer user groups who often have seminars and tutorial classes.

You tube has hundreds of 'how to' videos for just about anything. Just have to search for them.

Is the I Pad 2 a good fit for an aging father?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.