Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug report: FCPx audio records only first channel of multichannel interface

I noticed problems with recording audio in FCPx using a multichannel audio interface. I tried two firewire interfaces, an Apogee Ensemble and the RME Fireface. Both are supported by core audio and work as expected with any audio sequencer such as Garage band, Logic, Studio One etc. However, both show the same strange behavior in FCPx:

When I open FCPx's audio recording window, I can select the audio interface and it's various inputs as the audio source. I can set the input channels to stereo (channel 1 and 2). However, regardless of this setting, the level meters always move in sync, which means that the same signal arrives at both channels and the recording is mono.

User uploaded file

Actually FCPx records only channel 1 and ignores all other channels. This might be a bug in FCPx with regard to the handling of multichannel interfaces.

It does not seem to occur with simple stereo interfaces. I tried a Logitech C920 webcam with a built-in stereo microphone and a Zoom Q2HD recorder used in stereo USB microphone mode. In both cases, the recordings in FCPx are 2 channel stereo as it should be. Thus the problem is specific for multichannel interfaces.

Can anybody reproduce or explain this behaviour?

I am using Final Cut Pro X (10.0.7), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), MacBook Pro 15 Retina 2.3 GHz.

Regards, Werner

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), MacBook Pro 15 Retina 2.3 GHz

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 3:40 AM

2 replies

Bug report: FCPx audio records only first channel of multichannel interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.