Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro keeps dropping my internet

i was wondering if the Airport Utilities had anything to do with it .... it just keeps searching and searching ...

should it have an address ????

i have rebooted the server many times, and the internet stays on for a while, and then goes off ...

i have never had this problem before - we are traveling and sharing internet with another person ...

no one has problems except me and everyone else has a PC

any thoughts ???

thanks

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 8:01 AM

12 replies

Feb 21, 2013 9:49 AM in response to willismom

Sorry, more questions so we can get a better picture of your situation:

How is this modem connected to the internet? Through a cellular data network, by an ethernet cable, by a coax cable, or some other way?

May I assume you are using the iPad 2 mentioned in your profile, connected by wifi to the modem?

When you say you are traveling, do you mean changing locations frequently or just away from home at one or two remote locations?

How far away from the modem are you trying to use your iPad when the problem happens? Are there intervening walls? If so, what kind?

Feb 21, 2013 12:57 PM in response to markwmsn

No problem ..I appreciate the help

1) he has a PC that he hooks up to a modem

2) I have access to the Internet thru ny IPad and Mac book - IPad works fine, the Mac is giving me these issues

3) traveling from home, but we are staying put here for a few weeks

4) we are talking trailer to trailer ... About 20 feet

The other 3 users are using PCs and are not having any issues ... Just my Mac

Feb 21, 2013 2:34 PM in response to willismom

I'm still not clear on how the modem hooks to the internet. Cell phone, traditional phone line, coaxial cable, fiber?

He has a PC connected to the modem. Is that a wired connection or wifi?

Your iPad and MacBook Pro connect by wifi -- to his PC or his modem? (Which is generating the wifi signal?)

Is the wifi network 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or dual-band? If dual-band, which frequency is each device involved using?

The wifi network originates in one trailer, and you are trying to use it in a second trailer about 20 feet away. Are the trailer sides between metal?

Are both your iPad and your MacBook Pro in roughly the same areas of your trailer at the times when your Mac is having trouble and your iPad is not?

What are the age or year of your MacBook Pro? What version of [Mac] OS X is it running?

Three others are using PCs. How are they connecting? Wire or wifi? To the modem or to his PC? Are they in his trailer, in your trailer, in another trailer, or just nearby?

Feb 21, 2013 2:48 PM in response to markwmsn

Ok now you are asking questions I may not know he answers to ...

1) he has plugged in his PC to a router and a modem - wired connection

2) I don't know what we connect to - I would guess the modem because he has to unplug and shut down everything when my Mac doesn't work

3) wifi network ??? Don't know,

3) yes, trailer sides are metal and about 20 feet apart

4) yes, Mac and IPad are in same space

5) both MacBook and IPad are about 2 years old and software upto date ...o/s 6.12 IPad ... 10.82 on Mac

6) the other 3 pcs connect thru wifi via the modem, I think ..

Sorry I am not that computer literate ...

Feb 21, 2013 3:27 PM in response to willismom

OK, so he has a router involved in addition to the modem. I think we can drop the question of how the modem is connected to the internet. Presumably, everything else is connected through the router.

Your MBP is new enough that it should be competent to connect at either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but it might be relevant if it is chosing a different frequency from your iPad. You can find out the frequency of the MBP by holding down the "option" key while pulling down the wifi menu from the nested-arc icon in the menu bar. A group of paler gray lines should appear under the name of the active (checked) network. The third one should start with "Channel:" and end with "(2.4GHz)" or "(5GHz)". Also note the content of the 6th line (Transmit Rate).

It's harder to tell the frequency and speed on the iPad, but you at least check that you are using the same network. Just tap Settings on the home screen, then Wi-Fi, and look for the active (checked) network name. It should be the same as the name on the MBP. If the wifi network is single-frequency, both devices will be using the same frequency; if dual-frequency, they may not be.

The frequency may be especially relevant because the two bands have different penetrating abilities. I would imagine this is true even with metal walls. (Metal walls are not particularly conducive to radio transmission in the first place.)

I am surprised to hear that your network host "has to unplug and shut down everything when my Mac doesn't work." Wasn't it enough to shut down and restart the wifi connection from the Mac, or shut down and restart the entire Mac? Was that what you meant when you said you "have rebooted the server many times"?

Feb 21, 2013 3:54 PM in response to markwmsn

I'll answer your last comment first - I finally got frustrated enough to try and get Apple to help me ... He said to shut down all the computers and reboot the modem and my Mac should autocorrect itself ..... When I was trying to figure out why the Internet wouldn't stay 'on' ... It was saying there was no IP address ...

So I had everyone shut down their computers, shut down the modem, wait 40 seconds and restart ...

My Mac worked sporadically and finally I got mad enough to ask him to shut down his modem again ( I was trying not to be a pain in the butt)

I do not understand why the Mac is giving me grief and won't hold an Internet connection ... Altho so far it hasn't crapped out on me yet - I am upgrading at the moment

We are all on the same network - I helped set up the network and password so I know thoses are correct ...

I spoke to soon - the Internet is gone again ...

Network diagnostics - network status : wifi is green, wifi settings green but network setting , ISP , Internet and server all failed ..

And there are onlyn2 of us on the Internet

Feb 23, 2013 6:58 AM in response to markwmsn

I am not sure which messge ,, but it's one of them

I am at an place that has high speed, and this Internet is working fine ....

Could it be because the Internet is not high speed ??.

I think you for you time - it seems to work when I am at another address, and I have signed in fine here ...

I am hoping this will correct itself ??? What do you think ?????.

Feb 23, 2013 9:42 PM in response to willismom

If you get that message again, let us know the specific text.

No, I don't think the speed has anything to do with being able to hold the connection open. More likely, some aspect of the connection at the trailers is somewhat flaky in a way that bothers the Mac more than the iPad or the PCs.

I suppose it's always possible that it might correct itself.

my macbook pro keeps dropping my internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.