Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2008 - battery dead after 149 cycles

Hi all,

I am now on my second battery with my late 2008 MacBook Pro. The original battery lasted almost three years and eventually was replaced after it could no longer hold a charge beyond 30 minutes. It had reached a reasonable cycle count around a 1000'ish (can't remember the exact count number).

Anyway the replacement battery was installed on March 11th 2011. I have been doing discharges and charges over this period (once every two months). The problem I have now is the MacBook Pro won't even deal with the battery and shows a X on the battery symbol. This happened about a month ago and now I believe something is wrong but not my fault...

I downloaded coconut battery app and it shows only 149 cycles completed.

User uploaded file

I don't think this is normal battery behaviour, any thoughts. It's way out of warranty but given the low cycle count do you think Apple would replace it?

Cheers,

Carl

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:42 AM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2013 12:16 PM in response to the_lemminguk

If you don't ask you don't get. I had a replaceable battery replaced gratis which was out of warranty. In my case the battery had swollen. 149 cycles is low, but batteries are the least reliable and erratic component in a MBP. They can die quickly, but the other day a user posted a cycle count of nearly 2000.

If you present your case politely with low expectations you will not be overly disappointed if you have to pay for a replacement. If you don't have to pay, you will be overjoyed.

Ciao.

Macbook Pro 2008 - battery dead after 149 cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.