Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes (it won't let me update). So, how do I copy or back up my iTunes library of over 1,500 songs? Can I use a Flash Drive to do so?

I need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes (it won't let me update). I have IE 8 on Windows XP, and iTunes 10 something. In my Program files list I see iTunes and iTunes (2) and even iPod and iPod (2) where a tech had to back up and do this for me before. I'm just trying to fix it all. I keep getting the "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'iTunes.msi' in the box below." I can even run a search and find the folder, but it gives me the same error message. I was planning on using the Microsoft Fix-It tool to help uninstall then Reinstall iTunes. But I need to backup my library. So, how do I copy or back up my iTunes library of over 1,500 songs? Can I copy the folder to desktop or can I use a Flash Drive to backup my music? I don't want to do anything until I know for sure how I can backup my songs, and then reinstall them into iTunes. Thanks for any help.

iPod classic, Windows XP

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 8:59 AM

5 replies

Feb 21, 2013 9:36 AM in response to jboyer71

Uninstalling iTunes should not remove your library, but I would agree that you should back it up first as a precaution, something you should be doing regularly anyway. The easiest way to back up is to just copy the entire iTunes folder to another volume, a flash drive if you have one large enough or an external hard drive. Duplicating your iTunes folder to your desktop is really not adequate protection, but it would be better than nothing.

Regards.

Feb 21, 2013 9:49 AM in response to varjak paw

Ok, thanks that helps. I don't have an external hard drive though. What about backing up through 'the cloud'? I'm just wondering since my husband syncs his iPod to the PC through iTunes and he's worried that he will lose all the songs on his iPod if the library is lost from iTunes and he tries to 'sync' it up again. I'm not exactly sure how to 'copy the entire iTunes folder' either. I kinda suck at this unless I have step by step instructions, which I haven't found yet on iTunes help or other sources.

The only way I know how to back anything up is by going back to a restore point, etc. (as stated before, we don't have an external hard drive.)

Thanks for the info.

I need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes (it won't let me update). So, how do I copy or back up my iTunes library of over 1,500 songs? Can I use a Flash Drive to do so?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.