Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Six year old website made with an Apple tool like web publish?

Five years ago my webpage designer used a Apply tool to publish my website.I need to update stale website. How do I procee since it

looks like that tool is now gone??

Thank you.

Imac 20, MacBookPro15,IPhone, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 10:17 AM

If the site was made in iWeb and if you can access the iWeb 'Domain' file in which it stored the information (you would have to get this from your website designer) you could purchase iLife 11 from Amazon or elsewhere (not Apple) and use iWeb to edit and publish the site.

Failing any of these conditions all you can do is make the site over from scratch using one of the many available website creation programs, using the original pages as a guide, and a source for text and images to be inserted into the new version.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2013 10:17 AM in response to johnnyvangogh

If the site was made in iWeb and if you can access the iWeb 'Domain' file in which it stored the information (you would have to get this from your website designer) you could purchase iLife 11 from Amazon or elsewhere (not Apple) and use iWeb to edit and publish the site.

Failing any of these conditions all you can do is make the site over from scratch using one of the many available website creation programs, using the original pages as a guide, and a source for text and images to be inserted into the new version.

Feb 21, 2013 10:36 AM in response to johnnyvangogh

The iWeb Domain file lives in (user)/Library/Application Support/iWeb - obviously on the computer which created the site.

Apple have hidden the user’s Library folder in Lion and Mountain Lion to casual viewers, in an attempt to stop new Mac users messing their machines up. To access it, in the Finder go to the ‘Go’ menu and hold down the Option (Alt) key; the Library folder will appear as a choice.

Feb 22, 2013 12:47 AM in response to johnnyvangogh

If you want to try another website creating package, I would have a look at http://www.webacappella.fr. Somebody else on this forum said that they were going to use this, so I had a look at it myself and was quite impressed by it.

You can download the free version to try it out and see what you think, but it is very easy to use and you can drag and drop and it does contain things that we all wished that iWeb has, such as the ability to integrate buttons with rollover and you can also add drop down menus, contact forms and Google maps and you can also publish to any server.

There is no learning curve involved, as with things like Flux 4 and it is very simple and intuitive to use - you can use a built in template and modify it or you can start from scratch and create your own template and once you have your header, navigation menu and footer in place, you can save all this and then apply it to all your other pages with a click and then with other pages, you can just go in and alter the content. If you wish to alter the template, you just go to the template page and alter it there and every other page is then altered automatically.

You can also add your own code if you want to. This tool might just give the new EasyWeb software from Rage a run for its money and the other good thing about WebAcappella is that you are not tied into purchasing hosting, like you will be with Rage - you can publish to any server that you want.

Have a look and see for yourelf. The only other draw back is that it is not cheap to buy, but you can download it and use the free version to see what you think. The paid version has SEO built into it.

Six year old website made with an Apple tool like web publish?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.