Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting Cell Borders...going in circles

Hello all.

I'm having a wresting match with Numbers when I try to set a cell's borders.

First, I select a cell.

Next, I bring up the Inspector and the Table Inspector.

Then, I click on the line weight and pattern for the cell border.

After that, I try to click in the left edge and then right edge borders

But, each time, I go through this order to set my cell to the left & right vertical borders, something happens and a--either my cell has a box around it or b--it becomes de-selected and no cell formatting occurs or c--a solid thick border surrounds the cell.

Logically, I should be able to select a cell and set its borders and click on a 'done' button when I'm finished setting my border style. But, in the cell border selection process, either the line weight, line style or selecting which border side to set, something cancels out my selections.

What am I doing wrong. All I'm trying to do is set two borders on a cell, be it left/right or top/botton.

By the way, I experience this same behaviour if I use the toolbar buttons to format my cells. There seems to be a particular order of things the way Numbers wants me to format my cells but it's not very logical nor does it follow common sense. Please advise

Numbers '09-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1GB/80GB/1.5GHz

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 11:39 AM

13 replies

Feb 21, 2013 12:23 PM in response to gulmatan

User uploaded file

In order to set the cell border parameters you have to:

select:

- which border

- the stoke type

- the stoke weight

- the stroke color

So really... you need to make four selections per boarder

If you want to se the left and right edges of a cell, then select the left side (A) (above), then select the type, weight, and color (2, 3, 4).

Then select right side (C), then select the type, weight, and color (2, 3, 4)

do not select another cell(s) until you have made all the selections.

Feb 21, 2013 12:25 PM in response to gulmatan

There is no "done" button. It applies your changes as you make them.

1. Click on a cell. The entire cell will have a box around it
  2. Use the toolbar button to choose the Left Edge. The cell should show the left edge as selected; the box around the entire cell will not be there anymore, just on the left edge.
  3. Change the line type, width, color.

You can also turn on Allow Border Selection in the Table menu. You click on a border to select the entire border for a row/column. Click again on the border to select a segment of the border. Command-Click on other borders to add them to the selection. Now you can use the line type/width/color buttons on the toolbar to change them all at the same time

Feb 21, 2013 11:51 PM in response to gulmatan

Operations on the Mac follow a consistent and logical syntax: Noun, Verb (or Object, Action).

"Noun" is the object, "Verb" is the action applied to that object.

Want to fill a shape with colour? Select the shape (Noun), Apply the colour (verb).

Want a word to appear in italic type? Select the text forming the word (Noun), Press command-I to apply the format (Verb).

Same syntax here. Select the border(s) (Noun), Apply the attributes (Verb).

Regards,

Barry

Feb 22, 2013 12:17 AM in response to gulmatan

gulmatan,

Menu > Table > Allow Border Selection.

Click on the left border. Left column of the whole column is selected.

Click again on the left border of that cell to select limit selection to that cell.

Shift Click on other borders.

(That's the "Oi You!" part)

Apply line weight, line pattern and colour (in any order).

(That's the "Do this!" part).

Ian.

Feb 22, 2013 5:36 AM in response to gulmatan

gulmatan wrote:

Excellent analogy. This makes sense. But, my question and my confusion arises from the order in which the border line weight, line pattern and colour are selected and, how, if I wanted to set, for example both the left and right side border characteristics are set.

G.,

No, not that difficult.

1. Make the Selection

2. Choose the border pattern

3. Choose whatever attribute you wish to change for the selection. Color, Line type, Weight - in any order - do some and not others if you wish. The only exception to that rule is that you can't set line weight for a Thin line, so set the Line Type to some other type before setting the weight.

Jerry

Feb 23, 2013 5:10 PM in response to gulmatan

Hi gulmatan,

Apple provides a pair of excellent resources with every copy of Numbers '09—links in the Help menu to download the Numbers '09 User Guide and the iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide.

While the advice above on creating a custom chart go well beyond the content of the Numbers User Guide, I think you'll find a thorough read of the first four chapters useful as an overview. The rest of the Numbers guide is more for browsing as the need arises. The F&F guide is a reference manual that's easier to search than the Help files. It contains the list (grouped) of all the functions supported in Numbers '09, with a description of each, its required syntax, and at least one example of its use..

Both guides are fully searchable PDF documents, and easy reads.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 23, 2013 8:39 PM in response to Barry

Thanks. Just got 'em. And, my copy of the O'Reilly 'Missing Manual' came in the mail today. So, it looks like I've got a whole resource kit. Although they're not written with my outside the borders/unconventional usages of iWork (no book has ever answered questions along my unorthodox methodologies). these items just might steer me towards the right aisle.

Feb 22, 2014 6:30 AM in response to gulmatan

This isn't a reply but an expansion on the question. I'm going in circles too because when I try to apply a specific border to one or two cells, other cells change too. So if I have a partial column of cells with no left border, and I put a border in one of those cells, it will not confine the change only to that single cell. I have to keep rechanging borders all over the place.

Sometimes I will Paste Style to get the entire cell bordered, but then it will put left line (e.g.) borders in cells above or below. Or Top or Bottom lines where I don't want them.

???

Thanks.

Formatting Cell Borders...going in circles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.