Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome overheating Macbook Pro.

Hi There.

I really want to use Google Chrome as it is compatible with many extentions. However whenever I open Chrome, no matter if I am doing something simple, like using a search engine or facebook, or something more intensive like Tumblr, flash based websites, etc. It causes my mac to over heat and triggers the fans to go to maxium setting. It doesn't happen when I use safari or firefox. The heat and noise (produced from the fans) makes it ridiculous to use chrome. Does this problem occur because of my mac or becaue of issues with the software? If anyone could help, I would appreciate it!

Mac OS X (10.6.8), Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2010)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 11:56 AM

9 replies

Aug 6, 2017 3:50 AM in response to dfreez09

I know this isn't a solution, and that this question is old, but I am experiencing this as well, only worse. My Macbook Pro will actually shutdown for thermal protection if I use Google Chrome. I installed SMC and I can watch the temp of my computer quickly rise when I have a few Chrome windows open. It gets to around 212C, and then shuts down. No other applications cause this issue, even games. When I go to the Activity Monitor, it shows that for every tab in Chrome, there is a process running using up quite a few resources. It's disappointing, because I like Chrome, but when I use Safari instead, I can have many tabs open with no issue. My MBP is several years old, but I have taken the time to take it apart and blow out all the dust that has collected over the years, but it hasn't remedied the issue. If anyone has a solution to this issue, I'd love to hear it!

Nov 13, 2017 7:54 AM in response to SnarkyJay

Go to the Chrome store and download the extension: The Great Suspender. This will allow you automatically or manually suspend open tabs you are not currently viewing. I used it to manually suspend tabs until I found the one causing the problem. I was at a logon window on one of my tabs and it was using 35% of resources! Once I logged in it stopped! Not sure why that was. I will keep an eye out for what other tabs may cause this, but for now it was just that one. The Great Suspender - Chrome Web Store

Google Chrome overheating Macbook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.