Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto imported my videos as images

iphoto imported my videos as images. I did not notice and deleted them from video camera. Can I get my videos back? I haven't unplugged camera yet.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:15 PM

What makes you think the videos have been converted to jpef images? What happens when you double click on one of theme and try to play it in iPhoto? What version of iPhoto are you using? Are you still running Snow Leopard, 10.6.8?

Select one of the videos in iPhoto and use the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu option with Kind = Original. See what you get when you export that way to the Desktop.

OT

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2013 2:15 PM in response to sylviapanama

What makes you think the videos have been converted to jpef images? What happens when you double click on one of theme and try to play it in iPhoto? What version of iPhoto are you using? Are you still running Snow Leopard, 10.6.8?

Select one of the videos in iPhoto and use the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu option with Kind = Original. See what you get when you export that way to the Desktop.

OT

Feb 21, 2013 2:17 PM in response to sylviapanama

No

iPhoto does not import videos as images - by default it makes a bit for bit copy of the video (and every other import) and stores if in the originals folder in the iPhoto library - it also makes a JPEG preview of the imported imange (or first frame of the video)

You give us NO information - what version of iPhoto do you ahve - what did you do - whay do you think you have images - etc

Maybe all you need to do is double click on one of the videos and play it in iPhoto - to export a video you seelct it and export as kind = original

LN

Feb 21, 2013 2:29 PM in response to sylviapanama

I am using iphoto 11 version 9.2.3. I importing videos from my camcorder without paying much attention to it because it usually works fine. Instead of having videos, each video is an event with several pictures in it, depends on how long the video is. Nothing happens when I double click, it just goes from thumbnail to big. I don't know what other info would help. When I go to imovie, nothing shows up under iphoto videos

Jun 5, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, your information has already helped me and now I'm wondering if you can help with the next step. I have an iMac that I'm running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 on with iPhoto version 9.6. The videos from my iPhone 6 are imported as IMG files I can open and play the video in iPhoto, but it is jerky. I followed your advice and exported a test video to my desktop using the original format and it came out as a .mov file and played just fine. So that is good. But, now I'm wondering how I go about converting all the videos already in my library to the correct format. Also, the movies aren't showing up in iMovie and I'm wondering if it is because they are IMG files? I'd love your thoughts. Thanks!

Jun 5, 2015 11:30 AM in response to bestybrown

Create a smart album with the criteria Photo is Movie. To narrow it down to just the iPhoto 6 videos add the criteria File Name contains .img.

Now you can export them to a folder on the Desktop using the export setting Kind = Original. There you can open them with Quicktime Player and save as a different format. If unsure as to what format experiment or ask in the iMovie forum as to which format would be best for overall use with your system.

iphoto imported my videos as images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.